Leaving the netbook at home and getting rid of the backpack:Which pocket-size tablet?

iansmitchell

Oct 18, 2011
I'm looking for a tablet to replace my netbook as my to-go piece of technology.
My current primarily piece of technology is an Acer aspire one (the older one, KAV60). I use it all the time, it does everything I need, and I carry it everywhere. That's where we get to the problem, the 10.1" netbook is too big for a pocket, basically necessitating a backpack. I got an extended battery for it (makes it heavier, but I no longer have to carry the charger). My battery life is about 7-8 hours at low brightness with wifi on (all I use), with less for video.
I want it to be:
7"-8" (fit in a jean pocket)
As durable as a phone (fine for a 3 foot drop onto hardwood, minimum)
Capacitive touch-screen
wi-fi enabled
I want it to be able to:
Open/edit word/excel documents
Watch hulu/netflix and use flashI would also like it to have:
Full-size USB port for keyboard, thumb drive.
Support webcam if it doesn't have a built-in (not super important, either way, I'll still have the netbook for video calls)

I think that's pretty much all of my needs. I'm not entirely sure what android 2.1/2.1/2.3 differences are. DEFINITELY want pocket sized, though.

I'm currently looking at these:
X10.com - AirPad 7" Android Tablet PC running Android 2.3, with Flash 10.1 with a 7" 800x480 resolution TFT LCD Capacitive multi-touch, 5 point touch screen.
Haipad M8 - 8 inch 1.3GHz Processor Android Tablet
Nook color w/ android put on it
Random chinese tablets on ebay?

Please inform me, experienced tablet-people. :)

Price- up to $250, less as possible.

EDIT: I'd also consider front and rear facing cameras and GPS as awesome features.

Last edited:

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
hi iansmitchell,

Welcome to the forum. maybe you can take a look at our: Android Tablet PC

lots of decent tablet PC are under $200 there, and there's a yearly special offer for customers, big discount Up to 20%. welcome!

Hope you can find what you want here, and enjoy your online shopping!:)

Last edited:

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
You might want to try fitting a 7" tablet in your jeans pocket, I find that my S7 fits in my lower pocket of cargo type pants, but I wouldn't try to put it in jeans pocket. YMMV, GL.

iansmitchell

Oct 18, 2011
You might want to try fitting a 7" tablet in your jeans pocket, I find that my S7 fits in my lower pocket of cargo type pants, but I wouldn't try to put it in jeans pocket. YMMV, GL.
My friend's first generation kindle fits fine into my cavernous jean pockets, and the airpad is smaller in every measurement (I checked). I'm less sure about sizing for 8" tablets, though.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Honestly there isn't a tablet yet available that would reliably survive a 3' drop to a hardwood floor.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum