J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Lions of Seronera. Fortunately they didn't eat me or my Nook Color :cool:

$5941d1331488216-off-topic-discussion-africa-628-800x600-.jpg

J

jimbo7630

Great Pic, did you really get that close or have you got an optical zoom?

J

jimbo7630

Just goes to show what you miss by not reading other Forums 'cos you don't have that Tablet!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Haven't I seen you post around the forum in quite a lot of places? Of course I don't expect you to read every single post on the forum, that's spider's job :)

J

jimbo7630

I don't do that anymore, I don't need to chase an inflated post count.

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Great Pic, did you really get that close or have you got an optical zoom?

Jimbo you have an open invitation to come to Africa and experience the wildlife yourself. A safari does not have to cost a fortune but it will be an experience of a lifetime. It is not a Zoo but yes you can come so close with a little patience and respect for the animals. JP's pictures are amazing and not everybody is so skilled (or lucky) but I have been ecstatic to see a Leopard as a small spot in the distance. It is not necessarily how close you get but more the excitement of hunting the animal down and shoot it (with a camera of course).

Inspired of the beetlecam I am now working on designing wheels for my C71 and a remote control for the camera ;-)

Last edited:
J

jimbo7630

Stand by lion cubs, you are about to get your very own C71! How you'll get the remote from Tanzanite I have no idea.

(Lick him to death?!

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, the beetlecam is very cool you definitely don't get the opportunity to get those kinds of shots and interactions under normal circumstances. What a great idea. I highly recommend going to Tanzania if you have a chance. The people and the country are awesome.

I also felt very privileged to see two leopards lounging in trees about 50 meters away as well as wild dogs which I understand are endangered and quite rare. The only real sight I missed out on was a rhino. In no way is that a disappointment considering all of the amazing things I did get to see. Going to a zoo or seeing the animals on tv is one thing but to see them in the wild in person is something else entirely. The scope of the terrain and the numbers of animals you see is beyond anything outside of actually being there to take it in (well at least until we have holo decks).

I took about 800 photos and the friend I was traveling with took a few thousand. The ones I posted here were just a few representative shots and not necessarily the best.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I was in Tanzania few years ago and i saw a couple of leopards as well, it seems its the only region there where you can see them and the masai guides know where to find them. Africa is one place I would like to do again.. ....what part of Africa do you live in ,Tanzanite?

Samsung Galaxy Note

J

jimbo7630

That question needs to be re-phrased "Which part of Tanzania do you live in?" lol!