Looking for a 10.1" 32GB Android Tablet.. but which manufacturer to go with?

Klikster

Feb 27, 2012
Hi there, as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a tablet. And I've decided on a 32GB Android, but I'm having a tough time deciding on which brand to go with.

First of all, I've never owned an Android OS device before, so I don't have much experience with them at all. Just somewhat playing around with some friends phones in the past.

Also, it's probably best to express that I live in Vancouver, Canada so I'll be purchasing it locally or at least probably through a Canadian retailer. (Unless there's a really good US vendor I'm unaware of? I do have access to a US address that I can ship to!)

Another thing I should express, I'm very interested in having an HDMI out (even if it's mini-HDMI) as that would be very useful for bringing movies over to friends houses, etc. This tablet will be used mainly for the following:

- Watching Movies / TV (Especially on Trips)
- Connecting to my XBMC Media Center as a remote (or to play movies from if I'm away from my TV)
- Subscribing to Digital Magazines and reading them (Also probably to read Manga!)
- Some light gaming
- Browsing the internet (Facebook / Forums / YouTube)

Here's what devices I'm roughly looking at currently:

1. Samsung Galaxy 10.1 32GB - $499 CAD - Buy the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB Android Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
This tablet doesn't come stock with an HDMI port or SD slot, but in the description it states there are 'additional adapters'. The main reason I posted this tablet was because over 70% of the positive information I've heard from tablets (mostly by word of mouth) was about Samsung Galaxy/Nexus devices. But the lack of HDMI and SD is a significant downside.

2. Toshiba 'Thrive' 32GB - $479 CAD - Buy the Toshiba PDA01C-004002 Thrive Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
This tablet seems to have everything I want/need. External USB, HDMI & SD slots, and it's only $480. However, why is it cheaper than the Galaxy and Xoom? Inferior hardware?

3. Motorola XOOM 32GB - $499 CAD - Buy the Motorola XOOM 32GB Wi-Fi Internet Tablet at TigerDirect.ca
I haven't heard anything about this tablet

Regardless, my main concern in making this post is that I don't understand the differences in the software. I know that each manufacturer somewhat changes the Android interface to make it unique. Is there ways that I can install different versions of the Android OS on my device? If so, from the extra outputs alone, this Toshiba would be my best bet. But I posted here for insight from people who actually use these devices and have knowledge. So help is greatly appreciated and I'd like to thank everyone in advance. :)

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Well now.. That is the million dollar question.
I spent a great deal of time looking over 10 inch tablets for my sister.
We/she considered the Asus Transformer for quite a while, since the Prime has so many problems and Asus seems to be little concerned about properly fixing their improperly designed device.
She settled on the Toshiba Thrive for various reasons and I ordered one myself. Will have to sell either this tablet or my Kindle Fire to help cover that cost but I think it will be worth it in the end.
I don't know anything but what I have read and been told about any of these tablets you have listed. But the Thrive seems to be the best of the litter from what I have learned.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Klikster

Feb 27, 2012
This post was definitely helpful, how long until your Thrive arrives? I think I'll be purchasing my tablet within the next day or two.. and probably the 32GB Thrive. Toshiba has a sale on until the end of Feb on their website for accessories as well, spare batteries are only $24!

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Amazon says it should be in around 3-1-12. But if things go normal it will be here before then, seldome do thing show up on the day they say and even less do they show up later.
The TT has a full size SD card slot, full size USB slot, full size HDMI port, full size screen and a full size price tag, HA! but I think it will end up being worth it.
All from the Amazon page I ordered form.
Product Description

Size: 32 GB
Amazon.com Product Description

Introducing the Thrive Tablet by Toshiba, powered by Android 3.1 (Honeycomb), offering a better way to browse the web, enjoy e-books and HD videos, play games, listen to music and more. Complete, convenient and customizable, it's everything a tablet can and should be, with a gorgeous 10.1-inch diagonal high-res multi-touch widescreen display, features you can personalize and speedy performance so you can multitask your way through your digital life (and favorite entertainment) with ease.
The Toshiba Thrive Tablet featuring the power of Android 3.1 and the NVIDIA Tegra 2 mobile processor (see larger image).

Your Entertainment Hub

The Thrive tablet lets you enjoy and organize all your favorite music and videos in one convenient, portable place. Rock out on the go using its stereo speakers with Toshiba sound enhancements or built-in headphone jack--or plug in to our convenient Toshiba Multi-Dock (sold separately) to connect your own sound system. Use its built-in HDMI port to watch your videos on any compatible HD display. And thanks to our preloaded Toshiba Media Player, keeping your collection organized is easier than ever.
With Adaptive Display technology, the 10.1-inch HD display looks great anywhere--even in direct sunlight (see larger image).

The pre-loaded PrinterShare application makes it easy to connect to a printer over a wireless network (see larger image).

Brilliant Clarity

Give all those movies a makeover with Resolution+ video enhancement technology--Toshiba's exclusive innovation that instantly improves sharpness and color on standard-definition content, for visuals that look and feel more like HD. Toshiba's Adaptive Display technology ensures that you get the best visual experience, automatically adjusting the display's brightness and color to the lighting environment--making it readable even on the sunniest parts of the patio. Plus, you can use the tablet's built-in HDMI port to share your favorite videos on any compatible HDTV.
Accelerated Everything

Offering serious horsepower for its size, the Thrive tablet is powered by the world's first mobile super-chip, NVIDIA Tegra 2. Enjoy extreme multi-tasking with the first mobile dual-core processor, plus hardware-accelerated Adobe Flash and console-quality gaming with visuals powered by NVIDIA GeForce--so you can enjoy your favorite games, thrill to high-def video and much more.
Android 3.1, Honeycomb Operating System

Smile. Because this tablet quite simply delivers everything on the Android platform. It's founded on the tablet-optimized Android 3.1 (a.k.a., Honeycomb), designed from the ground up to improve your experience with devices just like this.
Dual Front and Back Cameras

The Thrive tablet gives you plenty of options with two onboard cameras. Use its convenient 2-MP front webcam and built-in microphone to video-chat with clarity, while its 5-MP auto-focus rear camera lets you capture photos and video in beautiful high-definition (HD 720p).
Easy Grip Finish

Now it's easier than ever to get a grip on your fast-paced mobile life--and grab some well-earned attention, too. This slip-resistant, rubberized surface is comfortable to hold, so you'll never miss a beat when chatting or emailing on the run. It's also available in your choice of six vibrant colors (sold separately), making it easy to personalize the look of your tablet.
Tons of Connectivity Options

Feel free to transfer and share files with your other gear and many of today's most popular gadgets, courtesy of USB 2.0, mini USB, and HDMI ports on your Thrive tablet. Plus you can use its full-size SD card slot to easily view photos and movies, or connect wirelessly to any compatible device with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Specifications

Display 10.1-inch LED-backlit capacitive multi-touch display (1280 x 800 pixels; 16:10 aspect ratio)
Processor & Graphics 1 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core mobile processor with GeForce graphics
Storage 8 GB internal flash memory
Memory 1 GB internal DDR2 memory
Wireless Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) plus Bluetooth 3.0
Audio Built-in stereo speakers with SRS Premium Voice Suite
Weight and Dimensions 1.6 pounds; 10.75 x 0.62 x 6.97 inches (WxDxH)
Sensors & Location GPS, gyroscope, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, digital compass
Multimedia Playback
  • Adobe Flash support
  • Audio compatibility: MP3, WMA, AAC, eAAC+, Ogg Vorbis, WAVE
  • Video compatibility: MPEG4, H.263, H.264
Ports & Expansion
  • HDMI port (full-sized) for 720p video output
  • 2 USB ports (1 full-sized, 1 mini-USB)
  • Dock connector port
  • 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
  • Secure Digital (SD) card slot, compatible with SD, SDHC, and SDXC media

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Well, that bad boy arrived today. And talk about impressive.
Now I was wondering if there was an app that I can use to sync the two. So that if I open one to a game, and the game will be synced to the same place on one tablet as it is on the other.
Pipe dream I know but I thought I would ask.
Now I'm going to play with the new toy. Don't have Tapatalk set up on the Thrive just yet.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk