Looking for Tablet to Work as E-Reader

noob

Jul 29, 2012
HI i'm NOob and I'm neeew here!

I'm in the market for a tablet that has at least a 10" screen for viewing technical PDF documents and textbooks that contain pictures and equations. My experience with E-readers has been that they don't handle .PDF files well and turn pages very slowly. I've tried looking at .PDFs on a smartphone with a 5' screen and it was miserable to say the least. A 10" screen should prevent constant resizing and duplicate the effect of reading a book. I'm trying read these PDF documents for 2 hours at a time - so the most important things to me (in order of importance) are:

• no glare or anything that would cause eye fatigue for extended periods of reading
  • decent battery life (~6 hours or so)
  • price (around the $100 mark)

Reading documents will be my sole purpose for the tablet so other features are simply extras.

The shear size of the tablet market has just exploded and its really difficult to understand the differences between competing tablets.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
A quick comment. I work extensively with PDF files on the Acer A100 & A500. Both do an excellent job. I tend to use the A100 for those times when extended use is encountered. A really large and detailed file, such as a truck manual, performance may be an issue with most tablets.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Hi...I have an Acer A500 10 inch and also a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus. I really like both of them. Whatever tablet you decide to buy, and there are numerous great ones out there, I suggest you try Mantano Reader in Google Play Store for reading .PDF files. I have it on both the 10 inch and 7 inch tablets and I am really impressed with how this app handles the .PDF files. It has lots of good features too. Good luck on finding a decent tablet in the $100 range. You might look at the "Like New" category on Amazon.com and read the comments. That's where I got my Samsung and so far it's working great.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
HI i'm NOob and I'm neeew here!

I'm in the market for a tablet that has at least a 10" screen for viewing technical PDF documents and textbooks that contain pictures and equations. My experience with E-readers has been that they don't handle .PDF files well and turn pages very slowly. I've tried looking at .PDFs on a smartphone with a 5' screen and it was miserable to say the least. A 10" screen should prevent constant resizing and duplicate the effect of reading a book. I'm trying read these PDF documents for 2 hours at a time - so the most important things to me (in order of importance) are:

• no glare or anything that would cause eye fatigue for extended periods of reading
  • decent battery life (~6 hours or so)
  • price (around the $100 mark)

Reading documents will be my sole purpose for the tablet so other features are simply extras.

The shear size of the tablet market has just exploded and its really difficult to understand the differences between competing tablets.

Hi, welcome to the forum.
based on your requirements, i think you should have a look at the Ainol Novo 7 Mars(for $102.90), and Ainol Novo 7 Tornado(for $88.99). Both good choices! Good luck! :)