Looking for Tracking Software for Galaxy 4 10.1

Charlie Demler

Dec 24, 2014
I apologize if this has been covered before but I did a search and didn't see anything.

I work for a company and we just bought 40 Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10,1. We are looking for a App that can track, lock or erase a tablet if it's lost or stolen.

Since they only run on WiFi I'm having a hard time finding something to do this. I know Samsung has a tracking software and I have signed up for that buy according to a Samsung support rep there is no way to identify the individual tablets. When I use there software it just shows Samsung Galaxy 4 for all the different tablets I have setup so far. If I could add a serial number or one of our serial numbers this would work great but can't.

Wanted to know if anyone has tried this and what App they are using.

Thanks for any input.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

That tablet does have GPS as well as WiFi. If location services are turned on in settings you have several options. One free option is just to use Google's own locator service and you can tell Google to allow wiping the tablet on the fly as soon as it connects to any WiFi. Google's locating services work very well. I thought I had lost one of my phones, (it was on vibrate so calling it wouldn't help) but Google told me it was where I was and sure enough it was.

Also several of the security/anti virus apps will do it the same way. I suggest Lookout but there are plenty of others that will lock - locate - wipe or whatever you need.

Charlie Demler

Dec 24, 2014
Welcome to the forum

That tablet does have GPS as well as WiFi. If location services are turned on in settings you have several options. One free option is just to use Google's own locator service and you can tell Google to allow wiping the tablet on the fly as soon as it connects to any WiFi. Google's locating services work very well. I thought I had lost one of my phones, (it was on vibrate so calling it wouldn't help) but Google told me it was where I was and sure enough it was.

Also several of the security/anti virus apps will do it the same way. I suggest Lookout but there are plenty of others that will lock - locate - wipe or whatever you need.

Thanks. I will be working with lots of tablets so I'll probably be on here a lot.

I was wondering how the Samsung software saw where I was at. I thought it was looking at WiFi somehow, not at a GPS signal. I am familiar with Lookout. I have it on my cell. I'll check it out for a Enterprise.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Some tablets don't have the GPS hardware in which case it uses dead reckoning on WiFi to determine an approximate location. In this case you're golden so long as location services are on.