M701R Questions about Memory

arya_ramadhan

Jan 17, 2011
hi all ...
i'm newbie

have Haipad M701R, it say 256 MB DDR memory.
but I saw on system info, it just 14x MB max.

this tablet have some 256 or 128 MB memory?

help me please.
and how to make for more space for internal app memory on this tablet?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Another user on the forums opened up their tablet and there ARE actually 2 x 128 MB DDR memory chips on the board. However, much like a desktop computer or many laptops the memory on the board is "shared" with built-in features like on-board video, audio, etc. By the time on-board devices are done, and whatever is allocated to the operating system, you get what's left to run your apps.

arya_ramadhan

Jan 17, 2011
Another user on the forums opened up their tablet and there ARE actually 2 x 128 MB DDR memory chips on the board. However, much like a desktop computer or many laptops the memory on the board is "shared" with built-in features like on-board video, audio, etc. By the time on-board devices are done, and whatever is allocated to the operating system, you get what's left to run your apps.

thanks ....
usefull reply.

one more question, can I make a big space for app or system in this tablet?
so I can install many application on my haipad?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
thanks ....
usefull reply.

one more question, can I make a big space for app or system in this tablet?
so I can install many application on my haipad?

Just so it's clear, that question is about the STORAGE chips, not the RAM chips.

When you install apps they are put into the /system/app/ folder (unless you are using third-party applications that let you install apps to your SD card, which has it's own drawbacks).

Only *some* of the apps in that folder can be safely removed to free up space, and you may need to use ADB to do it (if they are preinstalled apps you'd most likely need to use ADB to mount the file system read/write and remove the apps via adb shell commands).

The internal storage chip is like a hard drive that has been partitioned into a bunch of smaller logical drives. By default most of them are "read only" so even if there is space in the partition you generally can't use it. The partition maps can be rewritten (as some people have learned by flashing the wrong firmwares) but unless you're a custom rom cook you won't be messing with partition maps.

I'm not sure how much space is available in the /app/ folder for your apps. The /nand/ folder is the one that can be mounted as a USB flash drive to your desktop computer, but you can't install apps into it. It's just for transferring documents, photos, videos, or other files to your tablet if you don't have (or don't have space on) a SD card.

arya_ramadhan

Jan 17, 2011
Just so it's clear, that question is about the STORAGE chips, not the RAM chips.

When you install apps they are put into the /system/app/ folder (unless you are using third-party applications that let you install apps to your SD card, which has it's own drawbacks).

Only *some* of the apps in that folder can be safely removed to free up space, and you may need to use ADB to do it (if they are preinstalled apps you'd most likely need to use ADB to mount the file system read/write and remove the apps via adb shell commands).

The internal storage chip is like a hard drive that has been partitioned into a bunch of smaller logical drives. By default most of them are "read only" so even if there is space in the partition you generally can't use it. The partition maps can be rewritten (as some people have learned by flashing the wrong firmwares) but unless you're a custom rom cook you won't be messing with partition maps.

I'm not sure how much space is available in the /app/ folder for your apps. The /nand/ folder is the one that can be mounted as a USB flash drive to your desktop computer, but you can't install apps into it. It's just for transferring documents, photos, videos, or other files to your tablet if you don't have (or don't have space on) a SD card.

we can't add more space to system/app/ forder?
any application with simple way to make some install some app to SD card?

btw .... thanks for your reply.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I believe it's called "Apps 2 SD" (A2SD) and involves partitioning an SD card. I haven't used it and don't know how to set it up or make it work. Downsides to running apps from the SD card are, of course, you can't use the app if you take the card out (so you have to leave it in all the time), it reduces the storage space on the SD card, it can make the SD card run hot. I'd also imagine it's more prone to data corruption than the internal storage is.

arya_ramadhan

Jan 17, 2011
I believe it's called "Apps 2 SD" (A2SD) and involves partitioning an SD card. I haven't used it and don't know how to set it up or make it work. Downsides to running apps from the SD card are, of course, you can't use the app if you take the card out (so you have to leave it in all the time), it reduces the storage space on the SD card, it can make the SD card run hot. I'd also imagine it's more prone to data corruption than the internal storage is.

so we can't make more space for app/ on HAIPAD M701R, because /nand is more 3 GB free space. it's make me strange can't make some space for internal system folder.

:(:(

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure that /nand is actually it's own partition with read/write privileges, while /system is another partition that mounts read-only. You'd have to change the partition map. Unless you're cooking your own custom rom you won't be changing any partition sizes.

The /nand storage is for your documents, photos, videos, game data, etc. and in some cases only if there isn't an SD card available (but some apps won't use that space even if it is available, they'll only write data or cache to an SD card). The SD card is the ONLY place you have ANY control over how much space there is (by what size card you buy). As I mentioned, there is an option to install apps to the SD card.

If you install apps to your SD card you can offset that loss of space by putting everything else that you can in the onboard /nand storage.

arya_ramadhan

Jan 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure that /nand is actually it's own partition with read/write privileges, while /system is another partition that mounts read-only. You'd have to change the partition map. Unless you're cooking your own custom rom you won't be changing any partition sizes.

The /nand storage is for your documents, photos, videos, game data, etc. and in some cases only if there isn't an SD card available (but some apps won't use that space even if it is available, they'll only write data or cache to an SD card). The SD card is the ONLY place you have ANY control over how much space there is (by what size card you buy). As I mentioned, there is an option to install apps to the SD card.

If you install apps to your SD card you can offset that loss of space by putting everything else that you can in the onboard /nand storage.

apps to SD not working on HAIPAD ... i don't know why ...
many issue for this ....
the big problem is for /app is just a litle bit of space.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I don't use A2SD so I don't know the ins-and-outs of it. Other than I believe you need to have a rooted tablet and you need to create an ext2 partition on your SD card (and it shouldn't be bigger than 1GB).

The only way you're going to get more space in /apps is to remove apps you don't use. You could also go into Setting>Manage Applications and clear the cache for each app. Keep in mind that many apps store their data (but not the app itself) on the SD card and not on internal storage, and that the majority of apps are actually very small file sizes measured in kilobytes (even game apps, which tend to be the largest files, store a lot of the game data on the SD card).