Memo 7HD Dual Band WiFi?

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
Hi All,

Just got a chromecast, awesome piece of equipment. Software (both Google and Netflix) is still quite buggy both the apps and in the chrome browser and Youtube app, but still an amazing piece of work. It can only get better with firmware updates.

I had trouble setting it up as I think the chromecast setup was looking for dual band wifi as at one point it appears to need to be connected to two wifi sources. I finished up having to set it up manually using Firefox but now that it is working dual band is not an issue.

Having said that, I always need more toys and gettng a dual band modem/router would be a good thing. :D

So, does the 7hd have dual band?

Thanks

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The 7HD does not appear to have dual band, just the standard 802.11 b/g/n. However, I did the ChromeCast setup for two different single band routers and had no problem whatsoever.

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks Spider,

I found a few reviews on line that mentioned dual band and the ASUS Specifications don't say if it is or not as I can't find a frequency spec for them. I have ordered a dual band modem/router so will see when that gets here if stuff happens faster or not.

The chromecast thing may be my ActionTec router as the Upnp is a bit iffy. I got an error message from chromecast to check the Upnp setting. It was enabled, but the manual set up with Firefox worked around whatever the problem was.

When the new modem is installed I will try again with the standard chromecast setup and see what's what.

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
Bummer. New N600 modem shows dual-band on the Kindle 7HD, but only single band on the ASUS. Got my answer, but it cost me to find out for sure. I guess I could send the modem back as the old one is single band and I don't use the Fire any more. But, will keep it as is. The chromecast seems to work faster with it though, so I am wondering if it has 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The chromecast seems to work faster with it though, so I am wondering if it has 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz.

I don't think so. The AzureWave AW-NH387 802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth and FM Combo Module in the ChromeCast appears to be 2.4 GHz WiFi 802.11 b/g/n only.

It's probably the new router, or perhaps a variation of the "Hawthorne Effect":rolleyes:

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
Yup, possible. It also leads to suspicion with "trusted" reviews...

ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 review: a budget tablet that punches above its weight

To quote, "The HD 7 covers basic wireless with dual-band 802.11n WiFi"

..and quite a few others. Seemed like it was worth a try since the ASUS website specs fail to state the frequency or frequencies. :)

Maybe I will root the Fire. The screen resolution is certainly much better than the MeMO.