Win8 Can't See the Memo 7HD

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
Hi,

Do I need to do anything special for win8 to see the USB cable plugged in? I need to side load some data files from my old Palm Visor. When I plugged the USB cable in, a black block flashed on the screen of the 7HD, but win8 doesn't see anything.

The wifi IP connection for the 7HD shows up on the router but not on win8, I am logged in as Admin and I can't see it in the win8 Network display either. Not too concerned about that but plugging in the cable should connect??? Yes??

Can someone please guide me a little on getting this thing connected?
OR
Do I have to attach the files to an email from win8 and collect them with the 7HD?

Just as an aside, both my Kindles (Fire 7HD and Paperwhite) show up on win8 when USB plugged.

Thanks

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
OK, problem solved. I was using the USB cable that came with the chromecast. In desperation to find out why it would not connect, I finally swapped it for another one and then win8 could see it. Google must have used the 5th connector on the micro-USB. {sigh}

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Yes, connecting the cable should allow your Win8 system to see the MeMo, but the key is the word should. There are a number of reasons why it might not, mostly having to do with Windows. There are quite a few options to transfer files over your network without connecting to the computer. I have a link below that will take you to a thread I created re: transferring files that you should find helpful. You also may want to look at DropBox as an option.

You don't need to mail the files to yourself, for sure.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
In my experience, Win8 does everything win7 does for android devices.