Microphone and Google Talk

Caryanne2

Jun 2, 2011
I returned that tablet to best buy and got a new one. The new one doesn't have any microphone problems. If you can I would return it and get a new one.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I'm thinking it's definitely a hardware problem. The tricks I used to get the microphone to work before, don't work at all now. And the apps where the microphone did work before, don't work at all anymore. It's probably a loose connection or some crap like that. Unfortunately I bought this at best buy who won't take it back. I'm going to go try to complain to them today and see if I can get them to exchange it or something, but I'm sure that won't work. Then I guess I'll try Acer's support, but I really don't want to send it off to them only to have it takes weeks and weeks to get it fixed. I only wish I had caught and fixed this problem sooner. I was so excited about this tablet and if it doesn't get fixed in a timely manner....I'm not going to be too happy about it...

Did you try a hardware reset on the unit using a paperclip in the side? This might resolve a possible hardware issue you could be experiencing, or at least tell if it is or not.

notbillable

Jul 8, 2011
I returned mine back to Best Buy and got it replaced. The new one has the mic working fine, so if possible, try to get yours replaced.
Acer does offer 1 yr warranty and when I talked to them, they were willing to do a hardware repair for free, but I preferred replacing it as being much convenient....

pakrat

Jul 21, 2011
So i believe i have the same issue. talked to acer and they said this is the first they have heard of a low volume during google talk. I actually had the tech guy video chat me using google talk on his acer A500 and he had the same issue. does anyone have an A500 that works properly during video chats on google talk (volume high enough to hear the other person at a distance). if so when in video chat mode when you adjust the volume does the icon show a phone or a speaker. i dont believe it is a mic problem but rather the application is treating the tablet like a phone specifically on how much power it is sending to the speakers. please let me know if you have a A500 that is working properly with google talk during a video chat. thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My volume control shows a phone.

On some calls volume goes very low, but simply disconnecting and re-establishing the call seems to make it louder.

There is no doubt but that Google Chat works better with the earbuds from your smart phone (which have a built in mic).

pakrat

Jul 21, 2011
Well the guy from acer said that what happened when we did our video chat experiment was not right and said he would talk to engineering about it. Considering I was the first they had heard of the problem means more people should take the 25 mins to tell them they have this problem on more than just my tablet. He said they would look into it and said it should be much louder than it was.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
I've done acer A500 to A500 calls with no issuesbut recently doing a A500 to a transformer call the guy on the transformer did have a issue and told me my voice was very soft.

JPaul

May 27, 2011
I sent my A500 in to Acer repair today for this mike problem. When I get it back, I'll report.JPaul

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
I use a bt head set.... There are ones out there that the tablet sees as stereo headset like the H17txt (dont get just the h17 it doesnt work) the codec that the bt uses have tp match... See details description on both devices before you buy... that way you have telephone private conversions so the wife wont hear you talk to your girlfriend.... lol.. jk

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
If it didn't before it does now since 3.1.
In my tests I just used wired earbuds/mic that came with my phone, so bluetooth wasn't involved.

The bt has a certian bandwith it uses to communicate with the bt device the h17txt (not h17) there are 2 different models shares that bandwidth.... Its a hardware thing unrelated to os.... But it works fine... Also the full headset from moto also works need to make sure its the sme type of broadcast signal on both ends

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Mippster

Apr 25, 2011
I have a a question , maybe a bit stupid, as i still wait to get ma A500 so i can't research it for myself...
A friend got Iconia last week and we tried the video chat. the sound was clear but a bit far away , like couple feet away,though she was holding it rather close. Is this the normal mic quality ? And also where she can check her mic settings ? She couldn't find it anywhere under settings, or at least she couldn't find which icon under sound is responsible for the mic level to play with the gain level. Is it possible to change the mic levels outside Gtalk as she is using Fring.? Also she tried smartphone ear-phones ( blackberry ) but as soon she plugged them in the sound on her side went off and i could hear a thing, any ideas?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
There are some issues right now with mic volume in Google Talk voice and video chat. Perhaps they spill into other programs as well.

When you are using the built in mic, the tablet has to do a lot of echo suppression, and if there is not some free space behind the tablet, (such as if it is laying on the desk or something) the echo suppression mic (behind the microSD slot cover) gets confused. This mic is also used for noise canceling, and feedback control.

If you use a set of earbuds that have a mic connected, such as from a smart phone, it should work. That works for me. I connect them before I fire up Google talk.
I try not to plug them in during a call. If the sound goes wonky simply terminate the video/audio call and try again.

I haven't tried Fring on the tab yet.

I do use CsipSimple if you are up for experimenting with that. I use it mostly for international calls, - voice only, no video just yet. The built in mic works well for that, but the earbuds work betters.

In all my tests, the earbuds from an iPhone produce better mic volume than the other two types I have. Sorry I can't be more specific about setting mic volume.