MID8048 - Flash ROM Utility / Tool??? Semi-Bricked Kyros MID8048 Tablet.

luxedesignnyc

Jun 22, 2013
I have an unusual problem perhaps, a soft-bricked Coby MID8048 Kyros Tablet. I know the boot.img needs to be flashed somehow, and I have the files to flash that and a recovery dump of the tablet firmware. The only problem is that I don't know exactly HOW to flash this tablet - I tried to manipulate FWDN to do it but couldn't get a flash to work properly. The device keeps a straight black screen no matter what the state of the device is, charging, powered on, off - BUT I can boot it, while plugged in and connected via USB and I can recognize the device via my PC. Past that, I am sort of stuck though. Any advice would be appreciated. Called Coby, they stink.

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
More details please. How did this happen and what did you do before this happened? Is it rooted? Is CW recovery installed?

luxedesignnyc

Jun 22, 2013
More details please. How did this happen and what did you do before this happened? Is it rooted? Is CW recovery installed?

Ah, well CWM was or is on the tablet, yeah - what happened basically was one night while I was super tired, I was in Fastboot and I flashed the wrong boot.img to the bootloader or something like that? So I can get my USB to recognize the device but I have no idea what mode it's being recognized in even...

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Oki first is to boot into CW recovery with the hard keys eg.
power off, press and hold volume up, press and release power once you see coby logo keep holding volume up for 10 seconds now you are in fastboot.
Try this and restore your recovery or flash a working ROM.

luxedesignnyc

Jun 22, 2013
Oki first is to boot into CW recovery with the hard keys eg.
Try this and restore your recovery or flash a working ROM.

Well, thanks - that would be lovely if I could do that, the only problem is that as I said earlier, I don't have the COBY logo. I don't have the battery charging screen when the tablet is plugged in either. If I boot as though I was entering recovery, SOMETHING happens, and USB becomes recognized, but I'm not sure whats going on after that point...

luxedesignnyc

Jun 22, 2013
Ok, I guess you aren't familiar with flashing firmware.... I can't boot to recovery mode simply because I have no bootloader to load it basically... the bootloader is controls things like the COBY logo, the battery charging status screen when the tablet would be off - that sort of is gone yo. I *COULD* use FWDN to flash images to the nand but COBY doesn't have the proper images or something, I'm not sure, it's like one guy answering support over there all day or something, he suggested I e-mail support. The only way even I can recognize the tablet at all is via USB, only AFTER installing the TC drivers - which btw the tablet is using x64 driver as Telechips TCC89xx VTC USB Driver USB\VID_140E&PID_B086&REV_0100 and that part works fine. If anyone with an MID8048 could somehow figure out how to dump a complete FWDN image with the lk.rom, img and NAND Data.fai files for this or at least a compatible chipset Coby KYROS tablet that would be awesome though...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you have no bootloader and can't get into recovery your only real option is to exchange the tablet for a new one. We routinely have people make system dumps of the firmware, but without recovery access there's no way to put the firmware back that I know of.

Last edited:

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Well the only one around here that can help you out is and yes is Vampirefo himself. Altouch there are 8048 threads in the forums you can search for them, maybe you'll find something.

Sent from my CM9 Coby 8042 using my fingers

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, I guess you aren't familiar with flashing firmware.... I can't boot to recovery mode simply because I have no bootloader to load it basically... the bootloader is controls things like the COBY logo, the battery charging status screen when the tablet would be off - that sort of is gone yo. I *COULD* use FWDN to flash images to the nand but COBY doesn't have the proper images or something, I'm not sure, it's like one guy answering support over there all day or something, he suggested I e-mail support. The only way even I can recognize the tablet at all is via USB, only AFTER installing the TC drivers - which btw the tablet is using x64 driver as Telechips TCC89xx VTC USB Driver USB\VID_140E&PID_B086&REV_0100 and that part works fine. If anyone with an MID8048 could somehow figure out how to dump a complete FWDN image with the lk.rom, img and NAND Data.fai files for this or at least a compatible chipset Coby KYROS tablet that would be awesome though...

You can't pull lk.rom or Data.fai from a tablet, these have to either come from Coby, or compiled by hand. Black screen mostly means you are in fastboot mode, run fastboot commands to comunicate with tablet.
You could possible search for telechips lk.rom from a similar device and flash it. You would want one almost the same as your coby device.

I don't have this device so don't know the hardware specs to match with another telechips tablet, you can do that via google.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A ICS Android Tablet

luxedesignnyc

Jun 22, 2013
I do believe that I tried running FB commands but at the same time the computer was using the tablet with a Telechips driver not a android interface driver so that probably needs a revisiting. You're probably right, and I will try that later.