MID9742 w/ Custom ROM resets back to original state after reboot

joeyakaspce

Oct 6, 2012
Hey everybody! First and foremost, big thanks to everyone who takes time out their life to create and manage a website like this and answer questions for us! :)

Ok, here's my problem:

My device is a Coby Kyros MID9742...

I recently installed a custom rom from here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-kyros-9742-rooted-deodexed-google-play.html

Everything went fine and I immediately began customizing my tablet. In doing so, I had to reboot a few times and everything continued to work fine. I do not have the charger for this device and it does not charge through the usb connection while the device is on. So before I went to sleep, I turned off the device and plugged in the usb wire. The device began charging and I left it in this state and fell asleep.

The next morning I turned the device on and found the device reset back to the state like it was after I originally installed the custom rom. All my apps were gone, the wallpaper, EVERYTHING was reset as if I never customized it.

I did a factory reset and wiped the data and cache and once again customized it and turned it off... It reset back to the original settings once again.

It is now 1:40AM on 10/7/2012 and i'm going to attempt to do a full wipe again and reinstall the custom rom using LiveSuit as I did yesterday and customize it once again and see what happens... (Wish me luck?) :)

---------------------------------------------------

My questions is: Has anyone had this problem? and if so, has anyone figured out a solution?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Where is your charger? You should have received one in the box, and while it does suck to have a separate charger, you want it to properly charge the battery. While the tablet does support charging through the USB, the process is painfully slow.

As to your actual problem, my solution is to not use Livesuit. There are other ways to get the Google apps onto the device that don't involve using that piece of software.

joeyakaspce

Oct 6, 2012
Where is your charger? You should have received one in the box, and while it does suck to have a separate charger, you want it to properly charge the battery. While the tablet does support charging through the USB, the process is painfully slow.

As to your actual problem, my solution is to not use Livesuit. There are other ways to get the Google apps onto the device that don't involve using that piece of software.

Thanks for the reply...

I bought the tablet off of someone who didn't have the charger...
As for not using LiveSuit, could you point me in the direction of getting google apps on my tablet without it? I've looked around but have only found solutions which require me to have CWM installed and for some reason I'm receiving an error when trying to install the zip through the stock recovery. I'm brand new to customizing tablets but I'm quite familiar with customizing android phones.

Thanks in advance!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're as familiar with customizing phones as you claim then you should already know why you're getting an error. I can see it and I'm sure both devs and other advanced users can see it.

You don't use the stock recovery to install zip files. You have to root the tablet and then replace the stock recovery with Clockworkmod so you can flash zips like the Google apps package. Look in Generation 3 Development for what you need.

As to the adapter, go to Amazon and search for an adapter for the tablet. They should be readily available.

Last edited:

joeyakaspce

Oct 6, 2012
If you're as familiar with customizing phones as you claim then you should already know why you're getting an error. I can see it and I'm sure both devs and other advanced users can see it.

Is it necessary for you to be an ARROGANT A**HOLE in order for you to assist me? because if it is, I can assure you that I'd much rather you stick your help up your ass along with the other stick that's up there.

I'm quite sure I was polite and thankful in my question and responses.
Furthermore, I never 'claimed' to be an 'advanced user' nor a 'dev'. I said I was 'quite familiar'. So comparing my intellect in this field to either would be an incorrect assumption on your part.

You don't use the stock recovery to install zip files. You have to root the tablet and then replace the stock recovery with Clockworkmod so you can flash zips like the Google apps package. Look in Generation 3 Development for what you need.

I'm aware that my tablet must be rooted (which it is) in order to install CWM (which I am receiving an error when trying to install).
The zip I am trying to install IS CWM...

As to the adapter, go to Amazon and search for an adapter for the tablet. They should be readily available.
I never asked you how to obtain an adapter for my tablet because I'm quite aware of how to shop on the internet, but THANK YOU nonetheless.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure since you are an arrogant f*ck, you will not like how I defended myself against your attempt to belittle me and probably not help me any further...
...but in the minuscule chance that you set your pride to the side to attempt at being human, here is what i'm asking help with:

1) Since my device is already rooted, what route should I take to install CWM?
2) What route should I take in installing a custom android rom being i'm stuck with the stock recovery?

I will look forward to further textual abuse from you and/or possibly some help.

Regardless... minus the attitude from you, I appreciate your attempt at assisting me. THANK YOU! ;)

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Traveller1701 and I both have written how tos install recoveries on coby tablets, Traveller1701 has also added a batch script for windows user to make it easier. Neither Traveller1701 nor my how tos included flashing a zip to install cw recovery.
Where did you get the recovery? And where did you get the instructions to flash it?

joeyakaspce

Oct 6, 2012
Ivampirefo, I have to pick up my wife real quick but when I get back I will post all the info that you requested. Thank you for the response and I do apologize for my aggression... I dont feel well and just hacked plus I feel he came off disrespectful

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Vampirefo already touched on Clockworkmod, so I won't reiterate what he said except to say that I sent you to the Development forum because everything you need to get the job done is in there. The reason I pointed out the adapter is that the lack of sufficient power from the USB port may be the root cause of your device resetting itself to stock.

The rest of your rant? I had a long reply typed out in response to it, but to respond in kind would serve no purpose except to waste time and energy. The only thing I will say in response is this: were I truly being disrespectful I would have told you to go pound sand without trying to help you out.

joeyakaspce

Oct 6, 2012
@Traveller, I am not interested in hearing about activities in which you and your brother share regarding sand or your further attempts at humiliating me. You provided absolutely no help to me. Your entire post was worthless to me and you would only help me by disappearing!
@vampirefo, thank YOU for the HELP! I will research now and see how things go... id much rather join a friendlier forum for any further help but again I do thank you for being a kind sir! You are a good guy!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@Traveller, I am not interested in hearing about activities in which you and your brother share regarding sand or your further attempts at humiliating me. You provided absolutely no help to me. Your entire post was worthless to me and you would only help me by disappearing!
@vampirefo, thank YOU for the HELP! I will research now and see how things go... id much rather join a friendlier forum for any further help but again I do thank you for being a kind sir! You are a good guy!

As far as I know, I am the only one making recoveries for Coby 3rd gen.

Below are my recoveries.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...509-cw-recovey-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html