extract to your desktop

adb push bob.img /data/local/tmp/bob.img

adb push install-bob.sh /data/local/tmp/install-bob.sh

adb shell

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-bob.sh

su

/data/local/tmp/install-bob.sh

reboot-recovery

This did the trick. I am guessing somehow I messed up all my recoverys and replaced them with cwm-recovery.

when I make a dump, will it be overwritten by any new dumps made? I might of did this and lost my original stock dump.
(saying dump that many times sounds dirty......)

Lessons learned, you both were great help!

I see that super user is still installed and my only option is to disable it, can I remove it via adb still?

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
Is that other device a 9742? Also, did you make your dumps before installing ClockworkMod, or after? It makes a difference.

Play it safe. Use the recovery.img from one of the 9742 system dumps instead, and ignore the nandroid backup. The recovery images for each of the dumps is guaranteed to be stock.

Yes I took it from another 9742-8 device. I own 2 of them and the one with the bad touch screen is my sister. so I have my hands on 3 of them.

THere is no physical line that I see with the touch screen problem. I discovered that it was in a line by turning on pointer location and show touches. when you wiggle the device or press elsewhere it randomly pushes along a cerain line right about where the unlock screen would be.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah, I've never been able to get the reboot recovery command working properly in the batch file for some reason.
Now it works and the updated utility is available in the Development Index thread.

For some reason Coby tablets are not fond of accepting the command "adb reboot recovery". I tried fixing it by calling the reboot-recovery script included in the data directory, but that didn't work either. The solution that worked (and proof that I'm sometimes quite blind)? Taking the command in the reboot-recovery script and putting it in the batch file directly. The command however has an apparent side effect of resetting the wallpaper to the stock default. Not exactly a bad thing as the wallpaper is reminiscent of TRON and TRON Legacy, but still a side effect, even if easily solved.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well, on the tablet itself you have to shut the tablet down, then press and hold down the volume -, back, and power keys. On a 9742 it's just volume- and power after shutting the tablet down. If needing to get into recovery while the tablet is connected to the PC, the command is:

adb shell
su
echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot

For the root utility, it's all combined into one line.