MIDX5A - can't install widgets

arachnophile

Dec 14, 2010
I have an midx5a version 2.1 and I can't install widgets. I download them and then go to the home screen, go to widgets and nothing is there except the search widget. I have tried about 15-20 widgets.

Any ideas?

Sent from my MID using Android Tablet Forum App

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You have the install the widgets like you install an application.

Once you do that, you should be able to see it within your widgets selection screen.

arachnophile

Dec 14, 2010
I am familiar with the basics of installing widgets. My problem is that they just dont show up in the selection screen. I read about someone else with the same problem on another forum but he just made a brief mention of it and he didnt really care.

cbarnesro

Dec 23, 2010
I also am having the problem with widgets. I admit I am new to android but I am not new to technology. It doesn't matter how many widgets I have downloaded the only widget available to add to the homescreen is the google search widget.

The Gauge Battery Widget shows the status bar icon but the widget itself is not listed to add to the home screen.

smartroad

Jun 7, 2010
Same problem here. Installed on my desire okay, but same widgets do not show on the tablet. Been searching but all I can find are other people with the same problem and no solutions. :-(

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum App

michellynn

Dec 27, 2010
I have the same problem and seem to have found a solution of sorts. This website:
[App] AppWidgetPicker - xda-developers
has a link for a download of an app which will go around the default app used to manage apps on the android tablet. There are specific instructions on how and where to put this app on the tablet, however, I am stymied as to how I can access the file /system/app except on the tablet itself. (see the directions on the site for the app)
I can put the AppPicker on the device, but when i connect my device to my computer, it only shows the "nand" files, not the entire tablet's memory. I can however see that there does exist a file on the tablet called system and inside of it there exists a folder called app. I can see these exist using the file explorer which came on the device.
I assumed it would be a simple question of putting the file on an SD card, loading this card to the tablet, and copying the file to the /system/app folder. This is where the problem occurs; I can put the file on the SD card and I can see the file on my tablet. I can even install the app onto the device though I can't figure out where it goes from there. *note* the file is still located on the SD card and not in the directory it's supposed to be in according to the directions.
Now after completing these actions, I can successfully see all of the widgets that were so mysteriously absent from the list before by using app picker (hold finger on screen, click widgets, select app picker as the default for widgets), but when i try to apply the widget to the screen, the app is "forced to close."
Also, I have tried simply using the copy feature on the file explorer to move the file to its correct place, but it always comes up with the error "copy failed."
I am at my wits end as to what to do, but seem to be a bit closer. Hopefully someone can see what I am missing. :)

smartroad

Jun 7, 2010
'Fraid to say I have the same issue. Tried to copy with built in file browser and got the same copy failed. Can't even get the built in memory to mount. Will carry on trying tho!

The question remains, why doesn't the built in one work!

smartroad

Jun 7, 2010
Okay, seems that the unit isn't set to root. Looking into it further.

Sent from my X6D using Android Tablet Forum App

ULTRAMAN1

Dec 2, 2010
Downloaded the clock and weather widget and now cannot find it to add to my homescreen on my x5a, having the same problem everyone is.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
To install to /system/app you'll need to root the device and then use root explorer or adb to move the apk there. Then change the permissions to rw-r--r--. If using adb, run 'adb sync' afterwards. If using the device, reboot. The apk will now be a system app.

anhtuanph

Jan 14, 2011
Yay! That worked, many thanks!

Sent from my X6D using Android Tablet Forum App

I just have X6D and I can't add Widget for it.
Help me how to add widget for X6D step by step

I Tried to copy AppWidgetPicker to driver but copy failed. I installed AppWidgetPicker ok. But when add widget error.

I search on youtube see that
widgetonx5ayoutube.jpg

On 47s

Thanks you very much

Last edited by a moderator:

michellynn

Dec 27, 2010
First off, your device must be rooted. Thankfully I found a quick, easy, and free way to do this. The app Z4Root will do the job with literally one or two clicks. I recommend going to this link on your tablet: Z4 root brings one-click root to multiple Android devices and downloading the app directly onto you tablet. You must then download the app Root Explorer for $4.99 from the android market. Finally, follow the directions for the app widget picker apk (which you should have placed on your sd card...refer to my earlier post and a link to that website; the website has very specific and correct instructions). If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

anhtuanph

Jan 14, 2011
First off, your device must be rooted. Thankfully I found a quick, easy, and free way to do this. The app Z4Root will do the job with literally one or two clicks. I recommend going to this link on your tablet: Z4 root brings one-click root to multiple Android devices and downloading the app directly onto you tablet. You must then download the app Root Explorer for $4.99 from the android market. Finally, follow the directions for the app widget picker apk (which you should have placed on your sd card...refer to my earlier post and a link to that website; the website has very specific and correct instructions). If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
Thanks you very murch. That worked. How to backup room for X6D. I want to try up room froyo 2.2 fro X6D

Last edited: