Mixed feelings about my first Android Tablet

nateyj

Dec 9, 2011
I am now an owner (proud yet to be decided!) of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Hardware specific the Galaxy Tab is far superior to my 1st gen iPad but then again I quite like Android v3 OS and its pretty nippy to say the least. My biggest gripe is the serious lack of Android apps which are available specific to devices such as the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Lots of my favourite apps on the iPad I use frequently just arent available on the Galaxy Tab including the BBC iPlayer, Dropbox, Blastr etc etc. While they exist in smartphone equivalents (they look awful when installed on my tablet!), Android has some serious catching upto do. Its not just about having hardware which is superior over another product. The key to a successful tablet is mostly down to its software and app availability and quality/user experience that they provide. Oh and I just found AVG anti-virus!! WTF? thats bad when you have to install anti-virus on your tablet!! never had to have done that before!! Also whats with mixing smartphone Apps alongside tablet Apps in the Marketplace? there is no way to filter between these and often you end up installing smartphone versions on your tablet. Its a very messy user experience. The Marketplace on Android needs a serious overhaul and have at least dedicate a filter to only display apps for tablets please!!

OK onto my big massive annoyance and gripe!! Im starting to get very frustrated and peeved with my new Galaxy Tab where it refuses to sync to both my PC and Mac using the Samsung Kies software. Thats a nightmare! It did sync first time out of the box and now it refuses to. Im a pretty techy savy person and able to resolve lots of hardware/software issues quite easily but this software is just rubbish. The device is able to mount as you can write externally to it but the Kies software simply refuses to connect to it. Dosent also work under the Wi-Fi option from within the tablet. Tried un-installing the software / driver then re-installing. No success! Then I installed the software on my Macbook Air and it still dosent work. This is very bad!! Reminds me on buying one of the first early Windows HP smartphones. To connect or not to connect? that is the question!!

So the verdict is still open as regards to my new Galaxy Tab 10.1 purchase. Lets wait and see what happens. Well I have until March/April until the new iPad 3 is released ;)

Last edited:

Genkilljoy

Jul 29, 2011
Hay, at the end it's your money. However your gripes as you put it has to do with you comparing apples and oranges ( no pun intended). They are ten million apps in the Android Market. Also there is an App called Tablet Market which only show cases Apps for Honeycomb Tablets take your pick.
This is a very nice tablet. I know most people appreciate Andriod OS because of the widgets and customization it allows on their screens. The one and only thing I never liked about Apple products was their inability to let the buyer do as they wish with their own equipment, that and always being way over price for what they give you. I don't want a ten inch screen full of Icons when I could have informative widgets streaming information until I need to access a particular app.
I really enjoy my GT 10.1.

xxbeastxx420

Dec 24, 2011
Even though the apps you were useing on your i pad arent on android market there are definally similar ones that you can get they might not be named the same but they do have similar ones you just have look harder.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

xxbeastxx420

Dec 24, 2011
And you can filter them by getting the app called tablified market you can get it on the android market and it gives you apps just for tablets and its free go check it out and if you want i do daily videos on app reviews on youtube just for tablets you should check it out my youtube channel is called TheXxbeastxx420 and congratulations on you new tablet.

Annabellalot

Feb 1, 2012
Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but have you tried "airdroid" to address your synching issues? (Doctor Bob, Doctor Bob!) I find it works wonderfully :)

I love my 10.1!

Trankster

Jan 28, 2011
I am quite happy with mine. This is my 4th Android device after HTC INC1 and 2 and Nook Color (rooted and unrooted), so it was an easy transition to the Galaxy Tablet 10.1. There is a learning curve, so be patient; it is worth it in the end. You can not only sync your tablet but also drag and drop files between PC and Tab (not sure about Mac) which I much prefer over iPad iTunes. As a PC and Android user, I have had a hard time using and understanding iTunes and syncing my wife's iPad, plus I prefer many of my Android apps (the opposite of your issues :) )

The Galaxy Tab has a large choice of apps, and with launchers, folder organizers and widgets you can personalize it to suit yourself. BTW I have been using the Dropbox app on mine, no problem. I installed Kies, but have not needed or used it. The only thing I syncronize is Outlook exchange between my office desktop computer, Android Phone and GTab which is done via WIFI. For most documents including photos I either drag and drop or use Dropbox. I also use a RDP app to access my office computer remotely.

Last edited: