Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Not Charging - Brand New

blondeenz

Jul 30, 2012
I purchased a 10.1 tablet late April - thought it was great, so ditched my IPHONE and also bought a galaxy s3. OMG do I now regret it. My tablet now wont charge - unable to use it. The store I purchased it from after giving me the run around went out of business. Samsung wont respond to my enquiries. now i have an expensive table mat. if anyone can assist getting it recharged id be greatly appreciative (BTW having read lots of threads...I dont have non market apps and always used the charger and usb provided)

now my S3 - where do I start. It wiped all my contacts twice. after full reboot and reload, it now flickers persistently when on any net application - so is unusable for internet. It wont reset counters for email and messages - to add insult to injury samsung chat and email both came back with that this is not a function of the device. well it is. it used to work and ive had it fixed once before and its doing it again. I cant seem to get anyone to honour the warranty.

And im really really angry, Im not rich and these were very luxury items with which i worked hard to earn the money to get. Now i have a phone and tablet worth nothing.

blondeenz

Jul 30, 2012
I have this issue, and I dont let the battery get that low...well I didnt it got that low becasue it was plugged in and not charging.....be interested in what you worked out in end and my tablet is well..basically a table mat now. so very dissapointed in Samsung.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I purchased a 10.1 tablet late April - thought it was great, so ditched my IPHONE and also bought a galaxy s3. OMG do I now regret it. My tablet now wont charge - unable to use it. The store I purchased it from after giving me the run around went out of business. Samsung wont respond to my enquiries. now i have an expensive table mat. if anyone can assist getting it recharged id be greatly appreciative (BTW having read lots of threads...I dont have non market apps and always used the charger and usb provided)

now my S3 - where do I start. It wiped all my contacts twice. after full reboot and reload, it now flickers persistently when on any net application - so is unusable for internet. It wont reset counters for email and messages - to add insult to injury samsung chat and email both came back with that this is not a function of the device. well it is. it used to work and ive had it fixed once before and its doing it again. I cant seem to get anyone to honour the warranty.

And im really really angry, Im not rich and these were very luxury items with which i worked hard to earn the money to get. Now i have a phone and tablet worth nothing.

First off, please post in the SG III forum regarding your phone issues and I am sure someone will be able to help.

As for your tablet, are you using the charger that came with it? If not, you need to do so. If so, start by simply buying a new charger. They do conk out sometime. Also, are you sure it's not charging? Hold the power button down while touching the screen (it may take a minute or so) and see if it turns on.

I'm sorry you bought it from a shady company that's now no longer in business. Did you get your phone there too? If so sounds like they may have been selling defective merchandise.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it works just fine. Please don't bash an entire company because you have a problem. Provided they are both under warranty you shouldn't have any problems getting service from Samsung. Did you try the live chat on their site? How about posting on their Facebook page? If you emailed them, check your spam folder.

You should be able to reach them via the support section on their website. They have email, live chat and a phone number. Good luck.

Helper

Sep 10, 2012
So everyone has been talking about the Red X icon that was covering the battery icon. I don't know how it is caused, but I have found multiple ways to stop it.
1. Try Multiple outlets
2. Turn Auto Brightness on if not already, then go to your (Tablet's) homepage. Shut the tablet off, then plug in the charger.
3. Keep plugging and unplugging the charger from the tablet.
4. Unplug the USB cable from the port and blow on the end of the USB to remove any dust.

This has worked for me, and I hope it works for you too. Please leave a reply saying if it worked or not. Thanks.

jwilmes

Nov 1, 2012
I had the same issue. Charging not above 70%. I chacked cables and it appeared the usb connector of the charging cable was not well plugged into the power supply. After pressing the connector deep into this ps, charging continued.

Notable

Jan 19, 2013
Hello All...

I had the same problem with my new Samsung Galaxy note wasn't charging..even with the wall charger. I tried holding the volume up key while plugging in the charger into my tablet. The wall charger was already plugged into the wall socket. So, far ithas been charging. I must admit it hasonly been 10 to 15 minutes ago, but I am able to work on my tablet while its on and it now charges.

Give it a try...

Notable...

gawall

Apr 19, 2013
I had the same problem as I just told valgustin. I am on my 4th power cord. 2 samsung, 1 rocketfish and 1 no name. They all work awhile then stop. The tab was a Christmas gift.

troopiepete

Jan 17, 2014
Hi

It seems there is not much in the way of actual technical know how on this thread!
Has anyone bothered to measure the actual charge voltage coming from the usb power device?
I am asking this because when powered from my OEM 240V Power adapter my tablet charges fine, but as I am using this tablet almost 100% in the car it needs to be charged by a 12V adapter.
My first and preferred adapter is a 4 way 5Amp adapter that is hard wired to the car, but this gives the red cross you have been complaining about, but if I plug it into another 12v to 5V USB adapter it appears to work fine and the tablet shows the charging symbol :)

I am yet to do further tests to find out what actual voltage is being supplied by both adapters but I suspect the same issue is plaguing you guys - ok you are having issues with the OEM "Original Equipment Manufacturer" adapter and I think one post was from a laptop but either way voltage is possibly the problem, as for dimming the display that is lowering the current draw - this in turn will allow the voltage to increase a little and obviously enough to allow the unit to charge!

Remember that with all cables there is loss and at 5Vdc it takes little in the way of loss to become a lower voltage such as 4.5V - this could very well be the issue and also why other USB leads do not work as they are either longer or not manufactured to the same standard as the OEM lead.

I will be doing further testing over the next few days and will post my results then.

Regards
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
Algester, Brisbane, Australia

Last edited:

macbuzz21

Nov 12, 2014
Hi all,

I have just come to this discussion and I know that the question was introduced several years ago but the explanation has not been presented so I will offer some testing that I have done.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 in particular both 10.1" and 12.2" control charging despite what is on the other end of the USB cable and plugged into the outlet. Look at a Samsung charger and you will see it is 5.3V and 2.0A but that is not what gets to the tablet because the tablet calls for the current and there is resistance between the charger and tablet. The tablet looks to see if the charger is a Samsung Charger. If it doesn't sense a Samsung charger the current maximum is reduced to about 1.4A at the charger If it does sense the Samsung charger the current is allowed to reach a maximum of about 1.6A at the charger. Samsung says this is to protect the Samsung reputation as consumers will attribute any problems to Samsung.

You mentioned that you were charging via computer USB and Wall Charger. The wall Charger should charge the tablet at the maximum current but a computer USB port will not. The computer USB provides a maximum of 0.5A so unless you have the tablet turned off you are still using about 0.45A from the battery just to run the tablet. Also when plugged into the computer USB port the red X can be seen on the battery icon(I won't get into OTG here). When the tablet is plugged into the wall charger while the tablet is running you still can get about 0.5A for tablet charging.

Someone also made the point that cables matter and they do. The standard Samsung cable is 3ft and shielded. The data lines are 28 AWG and the voltage lines are likely 28 AWG as this make up about 95% of USB cables. Better would be 28/24AWG or even there is now 28/20AWG for USB cable for the least resistance.

Hope this helps.