MKV playing

absurd

Dec 11, 2010
Most of my videos are mkv's and i would like to watch them on my coby.
Because of 4 gb limit i am splitting them with a program name "mkvmerge" then put into sd card but cant get to watch them even after tried some different players.
Anyone with a solution?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Have you tried KMPlayer? It works with most everything I throw at it but haven't tried mkv. Worth a shot.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The problem is capability to adjust to large size MKVs. Archos makes a splitter that will split large Vids into 4Gb blocks. I have discovered it will work on Non-Archos players. But otherwise, I would suggest Transcoding with Handbrake or similar to a visual size that is smaller but do not lose any visual effect. Remember The Tablet screen is NOT a 50in TV screen. So you can render down and still get great results.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
gurgle is right. You should convert those large files to something smaller. I like ViDrop, it is a simple command line program with a UI that works well and is fast. Then you can get more videos on the same amount of card space. I can get a 45 minute HDTV show down to 200mb and still looks/sounds good. Another player that works well is Video Player by jeff Hamilton.

gswilkent

Dec 5, 2010
Just guessing but is it a fat file system issue? Have you tried formatting your SD card to ntsf? Not sure if android supports ntsf but 4gig is the file size limit of fat 32 and your card is likely fat.

Sent from my coby using Android Tablet Forum App

absurd

Dec 11, 2010
Android doesn't support ntfs. If formatted it doesn't even see the sd card. Unfortunately...

gswilkent

Dec 5, 2010
What about if you formated it ext3 ? Still guessing as I'm new to android but its basically just linux so I would think it would recognize that. A problem would be that a windows machine wouldn't recognize it, but fine if your running Linux.