Momo8 IPS Internals & WiFi Fault

mnementh

May 27, 2012
Hello everybelly!

After much pestering, my wife got me a Ployer momo8 IPS for Christmas. Like most momo8 users posting here, I have been amazed at the quality and speed of this little tablet. Mine, direct from the factory, came with Android 4.1.1 and a number of apps in Chinese; these were easily disabled and/or replaced with American English speaking counterparts as Ployer is ALSO a registered manufacturer with Google Play, which ALSO came pre-installed. I LOVED IT from day one; all except for... THE WIFI ISSUE.

Yes, mine too had the much maligned WiFi fault; signal would drop to 3 bars at the far end of the same room as my WiFi router, and in the next room would dip to 2 bars or even 1. The backyard was out of the question. And like others, it was constantly dropping and re-establishing the connection.

Well... I read and read, and figured I just had to wait for them to release the firmware patch to resolve my problems. And then, it happened. I dropped my little pink baby; I was heartbroken, but when I picked it up... it was all okay. except, I could hear (and see) the speaker rattling around loose. And there were dents in the aluminum back.

So... I set about taking my beastie apart; it was easy with a #000 Philips screwdriver and a guitar pick to rlease the snap-together tabs that hold it together once you remove the 3 screws from the "all the ports" end of the tablet. I was greatly disappointed to find that the antenna had been placed and secured properly; I was hoping for an easy fix.

I had an idea to try a better WiFi antenna; maybe install a second flag antenna from my drawer of bits robbed from old laptops. It was then I looked at the solder pads where the antenna wire was connected to the mainboard. I found that the shield/ground of the tiny coaxial cable was not properly soldered to the ground pad on the mainboard.

I resoldered it, but at first I thought it wouldn't work; the ground pad there is a large bit of copper, and my rechargeable soldering iron didn't want to put out enough heat to do the job. I had to use my good, 58W temp-controlled soldering station, and even then it wasn't easy to make a good solder joint; the ground tab sucked the heat away very quickly. This was enough of a PITA to solder properly that I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is a recurring problem with these tablets due to assembly line time pressure.

Eventually I got the solder joint fixed, and ironed out the dents in the back lid. And glued the speaker down with silicone sealant. Before I started messing around with it, though, I plopped it on my flatbed scanner and made a 600DPI scan of it so y'all can see with painful detail what's inside; I've added an arrow pointing to the solder joint in question.

Now, I get 4 bars anywhere in the same room, and it's always solid blue; next room I get 3 bars and 2 in the back yard; although I CAN go far enough away to lose all signal at the farthest corner of the backyard. At all times the WiFi signal stays blue until it drops out completely; even when it drops to 2 bars websurfing is STILL blazing fast and I can still watch Youtube and Netflix video.

And now for the required disclaimer: If you take your tablet apart and kill it, don't blame me. I'm an electronics engineer with 25 years experience in repairs like this one; if you're not comfortable doing repairs like this one, take your momo to someone who is.

Good hunting,

mnem
momo my momo!

Attachments

• $momo8 IPS WiFi (Large).jpg
    $momo8 IPS WiFi (Large).jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 4,275
Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the tip... i also accidentally drop my MoMo8 last week..the tablet slide from my 8inch generic leather case...have a small dent at the side...now i also have an excuse to open this baby up and also resolder that cable!!!

vanzis

Jan 30, 2013
Thank you for the great info. I would like to ask you if you are aware about the battery consumption of the wifi before and after the repair. Thank you in advance

davkirkster

Feb 10, 2013
Hi that's great work thanks....I have a problem I bought one of these for my son for Xmas and the DC jack has snapped inside and therefore will not charge... I have a friend who has opened it to try and fix it but has had no joy he said I need a new DC jack socket. I having a clue about what size to get or where to get one from, I would be extremely grateful if you could help me with this matter as my son is devestated thanks in advance