Movies on an Acer A500

gurneyman

Jul 11, 2011
I got an Acer A500 recently as I'm going on a fairly long haul flight. I thought it would be good to have a couple of movies to watch but I've seen some posts and comments about this not being possible, I wanted to know how viable this is.

I have movies on DVD, Bluray and digital downloads from iTunes. Is it possible to transfer all/some/none of these to my tablet?

Thanks

Jim

D

dvdcatalyst

I got an Acer A500 recently as I'm going on a fairly long haul flight. I thought it would be good to have a couple of movies to watch but I've seen some posts and comments about this not being possible, I wanted to know how viable this is.

I have movies on DVD, Bluray and digital downloads from iTunes. Is it possible to transfer all/some/none of these to my tablet?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Of course it is possible, but the videos just have to be in the correct format.

Digital Copies and iTunes is a pain. Those movies are protected with a form of DRM that requires activation, and this isn't supported on the Acer (and most other Android devices). They work great if you have Apple, but for anything else, they are basically useless.
There are tools that can convert these files by playing and recording them at the same time, however, speed and quality is not really worth the effort.

DVDs are pretty easy, just run a conversion tool on them, and convert them to the proper MP4 format. Bluray is a bit more tricky, but its doable. The bonus of Bluray is because the video is already at a higher resolution thatn that of your tablet, the quality will be great.

For more info, have a look at some of the links here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...talyst-guide-collection-dvd-video-bluray.html

For an idea of what kind of video quality you can expect, visit the following link on your tablet, and tap on one of the MP4 links:

Index of /xoom/fullscreen

gurneyman

Jul 11, 2011
Yep, it works! Downloaded trial version so now going to purchase licensed s/ware.

You say Blurays can be done but complicated. Is there an instruction or "how to" on your site?

Many thanks

Jim

ShroomSJS

Jun 9, 2011
I would like to know about the Blu-Rays too. I use DVD Catalyst but I thought it only converted DVDs.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

D

dvdcatalyst

Yep, it works! Downloaded trial version so now going to purchase licensed s/ware.

You say Blurays can be done but complicated. Is there an instruction or "how to" on your site?

Many thanks

Jim

I would like to know about the Blu-Rays too. I use DVD Catalyst but I thought it only converted DVDs.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

For Bluray instructions, have a look here for details on how to get it to work with DVD Catalyst:

DVD Catalyst 4 v4.0.3 Beta, aka Bluray Catalyst | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
Of course. The beta (RC2) already has profiles for it, but they are basically the same as the Xoom ones.

Here is a guide to get you started:

How to : Convert DVDs and Video files for the Asus Transformer | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

Thanks, I was trying to rip Tangled, but it gets about 9 megs into it and I get a windows message then it kicks out the DVD. not sure why it is doing it, unless the copy protection on it is kicking in?

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Try Moboplayer, works great so far with different videos, they have their own code packs you can download.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks, got it going. Took about 45 minutes at Standard speed.

Glad to hear its working.

I do recommend switching the settings back after you are done, because your system can convert a bit faster than that. (I use a laptop with the same cpu)

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
Glad to hear its working.

I do recommend switching the settings back after you are done, because your system can convert a bit faster than that. (I use a laptop with the same cpu)
Just tried How to train your Dragon with settings back to normal and it crashed after 12 megs converted. Trying the standard conversion right now to see if it works. If it does I think I will go with the slow and steady wins the race =)

D

dvdcatalyst

Just tried How to train your Dragon with settings back to normal and it crashed after 12 megs converted. Trying the standard conversion right now to see if it works. If it does I think I will go with the slow and steady wins the race =)

Dragon should work without issues, I'll dig it up and see what happens.

D

dvdcatalyst

Dragon should work without issues, I'll dig it up and see what happens.

I'm not sure what is causing the complication with Dragon on your system.

I tried both DVD Catalyst 4 v4.0.2.7

$dragon_xoom_4027.jpg

and 4.1 RC2 (new engine, a little faster)

$dragon_xoom_41RC2.jpg

and both started and ran Dragon without issues. I stopped 4.0.2.7 after it got to about 200MB, but RC2 is still humming along nicely (just passed 50% and is running at 8.2x speed:))