MultiTouch Problem in Coby MID 1042-8 After Install ROM

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You could always set up a virtual machine using VMWare or VirtualBox and a copy of Ubuntu. At least to me, that would be far easier than installing Cygwin.

jcparks

Oct 25, 2012
Hey guys, I am having same inverted problem on my 1042. I've tried many solutions over the last week, but I thought it would be interesting to run a logcat and see what pops up. After running logcat, I find this issue:
[ 10-24 18:31:37.739 155:0xbb I/InputReader ]
Touch device 'ft5x_ts' could not query the properties of its associated display 0. The device will be inoperable until the display size becomes available.

My understanding is that the ft5x_ts.ko is the touch screen driver. It appears that the display size needs to be input some where... But I have no idea where!!

jcparks

Oct 25, 2012
The error is saying wrong driver, you need to use correct driver.
First off, let me give you a big thanks for what progress you've made on this tablet. I am currently using your CWM recovery, thank you so much.

I've been using the driver from my dump (dumped previous to effing everthing up)
I unzipped /system/vendor/modules/ft5x_ts.ko
I put it on sd card
using file explorer, I removed existing
ft5x_ts.ko and then added the one from the dump, then changed permissions to rw-r-r
reboot, but nothing... Am I missing a step? Why would it still not work even with the correct driver?

jcparks

Oct 25, 2012
You have 3 parts to touch screen driver, boot.img, bootloader.img ft5x_ts.ko, which is a module for your kernel all three have to match to get working touch screen.

The easiest method is to switch ft5x_ts.ko, however if that does not work you need to switch the others.

Well then I guess I will try again to restore using your instructions here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...750-how-restore-your-7042-8042-9742-dump.html

I was not previously successful, but trying again never hurts ;) To the ADB!!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
First off, let me give you a big thanks for what progress you've made on this tablet. I am currently using your CWM recovery, thank you so much.

I've been using the driver from my dump (dumped previous to effing everthing up)
I unzipped /system/vendor/modules/ft5x_ts.ko
I put it on sd card
using file explorer, I removed existing
ft5x_ts.ko and then added the one from the dump, then changed permissions to rw-r-r
reboot, but nothing... Am I missing a step? Why would it still not work even with the correct driver?
I currently don't have internet trees are down in my area, the cable company said could take a week or more to fix, could be fixed tomorrow who knows. Any way if you upload your dump, I should be able to make a flashable zip to fix your touch screen.
But cant upload til I get internet.

jcparks

Oct 25, 2012
I currently don't have internet trees are down in my area, the cable company said could take a week or more to fix, could be fixed tomorrow who knows. Any way if you upload your dump, I should be able to make a flashable zip to fix your touch screen.
But cant upload til I get internet.

I don't know if this will work with my Google drive, but the dump is here: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B21bYX8GnGkEbUVvV1NUOU9QRzg/edit
Although I've posted the files, please don't feel obligated to do this for me. I will still be trying out the restore process you posted to see where I can get with it while your internet is restored. I am truly grateful for your help.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

jcparks

Oct 25, 2012
These are you files. 1042_touch_screen.zip

flash via cw recovery.

I tried just flashing, data wipe then flash, flash and fix permissions, flash then data wipe, but nothing is fixing it. I also tried adding the entire /system directory to the zip, but that resulted in COBY screen boot loop. I tried just throwing a text file in the /system folder to make sure it was actually copying system files, and it was working. I'm grateful for the zip file because now I have something to play with adding and subtracting folders then flashing. Any further suggestions as to what other folders may contain info for the touch screen driver? I'm gonna play around flashing a bit and see if the logcats can tell me anything different.