My 7127 Lost Root After a Flash to a Different ROM

Comstar

Jan 27, 2012
I am familiar with rooting and have flashed many a ROM on my phones and Asus Transformer but am stuck here.

I rooted my daughters 7127 and flashed the Formula RSZ Rom, all was fine until I decided to flash the Bulldog20 rom. After the flash I lost root. It boots into the rom and SU is still there but I can't boot into CWM and can't flash a zip from the system update in the Rom because the option is not there (TB will not load from the market either). I can boot to FWDN and Adb commands work (I used the reboot command to get out of fastboot). I tried to root it again but oneclick just stops.

I have a couple of CWM Nandroid backups and also a TB backup on the SD card.

I have done a little reading - When people mention to use the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command. Is that from the ADB prompt after I put my tablet in fastboot? Do I use one of the recovery.img files from the nadroid backups or do I use the stock_recovery.img posted elswhere? Where do I put the file so the command can find it? Would trying this be the right direction?

Maybe I am overthinking this.......... What would be a good step by step for me at this point?

I know i am close to getting it rooted again, but want to proceed correctly. Don't need a brick!

Update: ADB reboot works if I am just booted up in the rom but not in fastboot?

Update: Fixed - Well since my ADB commands were working with the tablet booted up in the system, I just tried "reboot recovery" and it booted into CWM! Even though I could not boot into it using the hardware keys, it just took me to fastboot..... I just restored a backup! I guess I thought those commands would only work from fastboot and never tried them from inside the rom.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I think you are confusing two different things: rooting and CWM. Rooting is needed to install CWM, but CWM doesn't depend on rooting. CWM is like a recovery mode, with root access built-in. When you install a new ROM, unless it replaces CWM area, CWM should still work. But rooting is related to system files, so if you install a new ROM it must have root access built-in or you must enable it again.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Your post is very confusing you don't need root to use custom recovery which CWM is, you can simply boot into fastboot and install a custom recovery without root. Root is no more than a small binary called su, most people use Superuser to talk to the su binary this isn't necessary, just gives one a choice to give root privilege to certain apps, without the superuser app and just using the su binary all apps are given root privilege automatically

To correctly root your tablet you simply push the su binary to /system/bin and then SUID the binary, if you want to use superuser app you push it to /system/app and SUID it also that's it. Rooting is the simplest thing in the world yet people need apps like super oneclick and so on rather than just push the files and SUID them.

Also adb commands aren't suppose to work in fastboot mode, when in fastboot mode use fastboot commands.

Last edited:

Comstar

Jan 27, 2012
I think you are confusing two different things: rooting and CWM. Rooting is needed to install CWM, but CWM doesn't depend on rooting. CWM is like a recovery mode, with root access built-in. When you install a new ROM, unless it replaces CWM area, CWM should still work. But rooting is related to system files, so if you install a new ROM it must have root access built-in or you must enable it again.

Your right. I was confusing the two. Thanks for the reply very helpful.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Comstar

Jan 27, 2012
Your post is very confusing you don't need root to use custom recovery which CWM is, you can simply boot into fastboot and install a custom recovery without root. Root is no more than a small binary called su, most people use Superuser to talk to the su binary this isn't necessary, just gives one a choice to give root privilege to certain apps, without the superuser app and just using the su binary all apps are given root privilege automatically

To correctly root your tablet you simply push the su binary to /system/bin and then SUID the binary, if you want to use superuser app you push it to /system/app and SUID it also that's it. Rooting is the simplest thing in the world yet people need apps like super oneclick and so on rather than just push the files and SUID them.

Also adb commands aren't suppose to work in fastboot mode, when in fastboot mode use fastboot commands.

Thanks. Very good information.I had a lot of things confused! Along with some mis-information. I am going to take some time and investigate the push method.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum