My Experience with “Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000”

muraliget

Jun 8, 2011
I have purchased this tablet phone during Nov 2010. I am really proud that I own this Tablet. All applications are working fine except a few. I want to brief a few features which Samsung could have improved with their updates.
01) It is a 3G enabled phone. Samsung should have given a detailed guide for 3G getting enabled and connected manually. 3G settings are different from Net work service providers from country to country and state to state. Some settings will be common to all operators. I am using MTNL Mumbai network. And the following settings are configured after a lot of permutations and combinations and of course a lot of googling. I want to share the settings for MTNL Mumbai network as detailed below.
a) Under the settings you will see “Wireless and network” please press the icon
b) Then you will see so many option there you should select “Mobile Networks”
c) Under Mobile network you will see “Use packet data” which you should select(a green colored tick mark should be seen after selecting)
d) Then Under the same page you should select “net work operators”. Tab will show a list of available networks after a few seconds. You can select any one as suitable to your Sim Card. Mine is MTNL prepaid card. So I have selected MTNL network.
e) Then you should select “Net work mode” and then select “WCDMA only”
f) Then under the same “mobile network” you should touch or press “Access point names”
g) There you will see your selected Net work with a green button right to that.
h) By pressing the “MTNL GPRS” you will be asked to fill up or edit some data as under.
1 Name : You can edit the Name again here. My given name is “MTNL GPRS”
2 APN : gprsppsmum (This is for prepaid customers. For postpaid customers you can write “gprsmtnlmum”)
3 Proxy : not set (you can keep it blank)
4 Port : 9201 (you can use 9401 also if find problem with 9201)
5 User Name : mtnl
6 Pass word : mtnl123
7 Server : http://wap.mumbai.mtnl.net.in
8 MMSC : http://172.16.39.140/mms/
9 MMS Proxy : 172.16.39.10
10 MMS port : 9201
11 MCC : 404
12 MNC : 69
13 Authentication type : PAP
14 APN type : Internet+mms
i) That is all. Now you can exit all by pressing home. Then you should restart the tab. You shoud get connected to mtnl 3G network.
02) You may face a lot of problems for firmware updation through your PC Internet. Before going straight away to “Samsung Kies”, you should ensure that latest version of Samsung Kies are Installed in your computer. Go to Samsung.com from the support you can download latest version of Samsung Kies. Please download and install it first. (you should not believe the CD Version you got along with the purchase. It may be outdated)
03) After installing the new version of Kies, Please go to the settings in your instrument (Tab). There you will see “wireless and network” and press
04) Down below you will see “USB Settings” , by pressing that you will see 4 options and you can select 1[SUP]st[/SUP] option “Samsung kies” and press home screen.
05) Now with the given USB cable you can connect your Tab with the computer.
06) Samsung Kies should now recognize your Tab
07) In the bottom of kies screen you will see an icon showing upgrading option. Press the same.(on screen instructions press OK only) If any upgrades are presently available, definitely this will allow you to upgrade.
08) I have got window7 pc with a download speed of about 150 kbps. It took about 1.5 hours to complete the process.
By briefing all the above things I was wondering why Samsung was not giving proper guidance to their customers for these issues. (One interesting thing is that , you will never see a PC Mode either in your tab or in kies.) I don’t understand why they have given PC Mode instead of Samsung kies..Also the USB Settings are places under wireless and network settings. They could have easily placed that option directly under settings.
I hope that some one get some help or clue out of my comments
Thanks

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
this is true if you buy from one of the carriers which is likely what you have - but if you buy an unlocked (international) unit where it can be configured to use 3G signals from different countries/carriers then yes there is some setup that needs to be done

All of our phones come ready-to-use in the USA. Too bad yours wasn't configured.

mtwd

Apr 27, 2011
I bought mine free of a contract. I rang my provider and they SMS'd me the settings, all I had to do was press apply and the settings were all applied from the SMS. Beofre trying to set one up I would suggest calling your carrier to see if they can do something similar.

conchchowder

Mar 19, 2011
Mine is a GT-1000 on T-Mobile (in SoFl, most of our units are international by default because of our geo-location). Yes...the settings are easily applied.

jinjamiki

Oct 21, 2011
Thanks so much. I was unable to upgrade firmware on my Galaxy Tab 1010 until you explained that USB settings were under Wireless and Network!
Much appreciated