My "n" button is not working

CA_Harry

Mar 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I wasnt sure if this should go in the apps or technical section, but here it goes -

I have a simple rooted NC (1.1 BN), using autonooter , and my "n" button does not work except for waking up the NC from a dark screen. I have the following relevant apps (i think) installed:

1. Zeam
2. Home Switcher
3. Soft keys

I don't know if its a hardware issue since the button works to wake up the NC from a sleep stage. Ive tried deleting soft keys but that hasnt helped.

Any advice? Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You have something installed that is changing the function of the button.

It is obvious that it is not a hardware issue as you mentioned.

You are going to need an app like softkeys or button savior. I know that softkeys can change what happens when you push the physical home key, but I don't know if those settings are only made within softkeys (so those settings go away when uninstalled) or whether softkeys is changing something internally that even if uninstalled, those settings stay.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Go into Nook Color Tools. Select Home Switcher and Zeam and click on "Clear Defaults". See if that works.

BTW IMO Button Savior is better than Soft Keys

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
If you uninstall softkeys and start home switcher, it will show you the option of which app to run when the "n" is pressed (it will probably show you Zeam and B&N Home). Then, you should be able to specify Zeam.

I also agree with Steve on Button Savior being better than Soft Keys :D

CA_Harry

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks, guys, I'll give those suggestions a shot when I get home tonight.

The only reason I want to use SoftKeys is for the N button settings. I dont like the floating button on either soft keys or button savior, so it would be nice to click the N button to bring up the virtual buttons. Plus I can never click the floating buttons on my first try. haha.

CA_Harry

Mar 9, 2011
Hi guys,

My n button is still not working even after trying the suggestions above. I even uninstalled home switcher and downloaded home manager, but no luck. Any help??

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Sounds like you "n" button codes are screwed.

Uninstall all launchers and softkeys, reboot

-If still no go on "n", re-install softkeys to rrprogram the "n" button controls.
-If still nothing you may need to "back up and punt"

I'd stay away from softkeys IMO, put that's me.

CA_Harry

Mar 9, 2011
Yep, I had to flash to stock and start over, but at least it works now. Thanks, rico!