My X5A/X6D is missing a lot of programs, even market and resetting cannot fix that.

arupbsk

Jan 20, 2011
What to do? My x5a/X6D device doesn't have market icon in the menu, also trying to download applications from web gives error that cannot find market://.... something. Also youtube videos not playing, clicking oin video thumbnail gives error as webpage not available, webpage at vnd.youtube:rdTaOR7IcDs?vndapp=.............. something.
I have tried resetting factory from device, nothing worked. The settings--> applications shoes only one application installed(even after factory reset) that is "com.estrongs.android.pop"
The video playback is impressive though, as HD videos(from SD card) also plays fine with no halt. Wi-fi, g-sensor, touchscreen, SD slot, USB slot, Battery etc everything working fine, so it's not any hardware problem. It's some kind of software problem.
The manufacturer doesn't provides software support or warranty. He is only providing hardware warranty.
The about device shows the following information

Model number: X6D (but backside label has X5A printed)
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Kernel version: 2.6.29 root@localhost#153
Build number: X6D 1.1
(My tablet backpanel has printed X5A though)
Please take a look
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9208/photo0012j.jpg

There are no file manager option also in the device. So trying to install "z4root" to root the device by the ADB method, I have read this article and downloaded the drivers but they dont support my device. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...esource-how-use-adb-android-debug-bridge.html And when I connect it to computer(either XP, or Win7) in debug mode, the drivers are not found for the device "Android Eclair". I have browsed for drivers in the unzipped driver folder, but no work.

I want to re-enable the market icon if possible even by re-installation of OS, or otherwise, I'll install apps by the ADB method only. Anything that can help me installing applications.

I'm from India, so please reply in English, not in Chinese.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Drivers from the ADB thread DON'T WORK for Telechips devices. You need to follow the instructions from the Coby Kyros thread to use that driver instead. It would be the same one as the one I posted here: [RESOURCE] How to Use ADB (Android Debug Bridge)

Otherwise it is possible to modify the original INF file to suit as well.

To reiterate what I said over PM:
Do Intro Steps, Installing the Windows software and ADB drivers.

This gives you access to this here: [RESOURCE] How to Use ADB (Android Debug Bridge)

With ADB, install the z4root with 'adb install z4root.1.3.0.apk '.

Basically the Coby instructions tell you to replicate this: How to side load apps if market wont work
But you do not have a File Manager pre-installed.

arupbsk

Jan 20, 2011
I have did that. Quite long download though. Now I can install .apk files from computer using the ADB. Then I've installed the z4root and rooted the device. Then tried to copy and use the recovery.img but in that step, nothing happened. Look at the command prompt instructions below.

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb install z4root.1
.3.0.apk
912 KB/s (978414 bytes in 1.046s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/z4root.1.3.0.apk
Success
#### Called register_android_provider_MediaStore()

:::::::::I HAVE ROOTED THIS TIME AND AFTER REBOOTING GIVEN BELOW COMMANDS:::::::::

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
# su
su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# ^C
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb reboot recovery

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Did you download the file from http://teamtelechips.naobsd.org/experimental/20101212/recovery.X6D.img.zip
If you did, you would have had to unzip the file and put it onto your SDccard (mount external from your computer, then copy it into the root directory). First rename the file to 'recovery.img'.

Then you have to do something like 'adb push recovery.img /sdcard/'

adb push might be broken. You might have to copy the file manually.

Can you append the full messages? I can't tell if you copied the file or not.

Small chance you might be missing flash_image as well, in which case you need to install that by following instructions here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Flash_image

That's all my input on this matter. I hope you figure it out.

arupbsk

Jan 20, 2011
Those both files(1. renamed recovery.img and 2. flash_image) are in both locations, i.e, SD card root and the PC's working directory. See the screenshot. The recovery.img is renamed after unzipping from your above given link. The flash_image file is collected from link from Flash image - CyanogenMod Wiki

Now see the command prompt instructions that did nothing and also didn't showed any error message.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Arup>cd "C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\
platform-tools"

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
# su
su
error opening /sdcard/recovery.img: No such file or directory /*THIS I DID WITHOUT SD CARD TO CHECK IF IT REALLY LOCATES THE FILE OR NOT, BELOW COMMAND I GAVE AFTER SD CARD INSTALLED */
# ^C
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb reboot recovery
/* tablet device rebooted but nothing happened*/
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

Can't I somehow boot from SD card/USB drive with SD card having android operating system installation files. Like we install windows in Netbooks.

arupbsk

Jan 20, 2011
Yes. I currently install applications of .apk extensions by the adb install command. I have successfully installed some applications too. Can you provide me the below,

1> Some market.adb which is compatible with x6d, so that I can install the market software from my PC.
2> Drivers for webcam, (I have a ordinary webcam which requires no driver in XP) I want to use it to enable video chat as x6d doesn't have a camera.
3> Drivers for bluetooth adapter. I have one cheap USB BT adapter (driver less in PC) ($0.99 only). I have installed bluetooth software, but it shows on startup and use that something like Cannot initialize bluetooth layer.......