NC charger heating up

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Hi all,

Has anyone had this issue? I just noticed starting yesterday that my Nook Color charger was too hot to the touch. It was hot at the portion where the USB cable end is plugged in. It didn't feel as hot at the microusb end connected to the Nook. I also did a sniff test and somehow, I feel something smells burnt. It could be paranoia but I am now concerned after reading from the B&N threads others had an issue like this.

I am testing it now and the NC is charging... but I can feel the charger getting hot once again.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
for an update: battery level is now at 100% and says full. the heat has started to go down so I assume it indeed has stopped charging. But now, the n still is amber and hasn't changed to green. It's been about 20mins. since reaching 100% on the battery level.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
this is driving me crazy. I restored to a backup of my rooted 1.2 - it was without an OC kernel. Then now the charging indicator in the cable does turn green... but while it is still charging and only at 97%. ah, anyway, i'll keep at it... what's important right now is I can charge the NC.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
When I saw your post I plugged my Nook in to check it out. Now, 2 hours later, it just went green and my charger isn't even warm. I think you definitely have some kind of problem. The obvious thing would be to try another charger if possible. If your line voltage is less than the nominal 110V (Brownout), I believe that could also cause the charger to heat up more than normal.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Another thought:
If you can, take your Nook to a store. (B&N, Staples, Best Buy Etc.)
Look real sad :( and politely explain your problem.
Ask if you can disconnect a demo model and plug yours in for a few minutes.
If they let you, you'll know if it's your charger or your Nook that's bad.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Hey Spider, thanks. For now, i`ll just observe. I don't know why, but it seems to have happened after rooting 1.2. (which also gave me problems booting from my cm7 on the microsd.) So I removed cwm, restored to stock, then, reflashed my cm7 on the microsd. Charging seems to be ok now with no abnormal heating. The charge indicator turns green as it should.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

snookiecolor

Dec 24, 2010
My charger at the micro usb side actually heated up and melted. Luckily my nook wasn't plugged in. I called Barnes and Noble and they are sending me a new one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
My charger at the micro usb side actually heated up and melted. Luckily my nook wasn't plugged in. I called Barnes and Noble and they are sending me a new one.

wow, it did? I've read about that in the B&N forums. Did B&N say anything or acknowledge it as an existing problem?

I'm not from the US so if anything goes wrong with my charger/cable.. I'll have a tough time getting a replacement.

snookiecolor

Dec 24, 2010
It was making some buzzing noise. By it, I mean the xharger.

Anyways Barnes and Noble made it very easy. I just called and they checked my serial number and account and said I would get it within 4 days. Awesome

kashif977

May 9, 2011
Get a new Nook Color Stock Charge Cable Free - xda-developers
As many of you'll know by now the Nook Color stock cable tip break easily and a stock replacement is expensive. To top it off its the ONLY cable that will fast charge your Nook Color. Well I have some good news. After writing a bad review of the cable on their website after my second one bent which I had to pay $30 for since the cable wasn't available separately then. I talked to a Barnes and Noble worker and they gave me this number
1.Call 1-800-The-Book and go digital products from the prompts then Nook Color.
You must have your serial number and the email you registered your Nook with. When you talk to a representative tell them you need a replacement cable for your Nook Color. After you give them your information they will ship you a new one completely free.
2. The fastest way is to go to or call your local Barnes & Noble and tell them you heard that if you bring a broken Nook Color cable in they could replace it for free.
Both methods worked for me but I'm 100% sure method one should work if and when you need a new cable.
Hope this helps everyone.