Need help deciding

TechNick

Oct 30, 2011
Hey AndroidTablets! I have been lurking on here reading a bit as I was considering purchasing the Coby Kyros MID7022. I noticed recently that Coby has a newer model of this tablet called the MID7127 that features an updated form factor that I like quite a bit. Problem is, there is another tablet known as the Novo7 Advanced that looks good also. While I prefer the form factor of the MID7127, the Telechips CPU inside only has a MALI200 GPU where the Novo7 has a MALI400. So I'm wondering, does Android rely on the GPU enough to make it worth giving up the MID7127's superior form factor in place of the improved GPU in the Novo7? What would you guys recommend?

Novo7 Advanced- Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced Android 2.3.4 8GB 1.5GHz CPU HDMI 1080p Dual Camera+ Free Remote Control

Coby Kyros MID7127- 7" Android 2.3 Multi-Touch 16:9 Widescreen (Capacitive) | COBY

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
GPU is basically needed to play HD videos and games. That said, the Novo7 seems to have better specs than 7022, but I haven't heard about that "Adopts A10 multi-core" processor. But even if it's a single core running at 1GHz if it has a better GPU, and you take into account the dual camera, remote control, more memory (7022 comes with 4GB), then I think it's an incredible value indeed. The good points for 7022 are that it's a well known brand, probably you should be able to exchange it easily if you have a problem, and the online community for mods. If it's not important to you, then go for Novo7 and post your review after a few days using it. :p

Last edited:

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hey AndroidTablets! I have been lurking on here reading a bit as I was considering purchasing the Coby Kyros MID7022. I noticed recently that Coby has a newer model of this tablet called the MID7127 that features an updated form factor that I like quite a bit. Problem is, there is another tablet known as the Novo7 Advanced that looks good also. While I prefer the form factor of the MID7127, the Telechips CPU inside only has a MALI200 GPU where the Novo7 has a MALI400. So I'm wondering, does Android rely on the GPU enough to make it worth giving up the MID7127's superior form factor in place of the improved GPU in the Novo7? What would you guys recommend?

Novo7 Advanced- Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced Android 2.3.4 8GB 1.5GHz CPU HDMI 1080p Dual Camera+ Free Remote Control

Coby Kyros MID7127- 7" Android 2.3 Multi-Touch 16:9 Widescreen (Capacitive) | COBY

I looked at the specs for 7127 on Coby's site and dont see a difference between 7022 and 7127 besides a design difference.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk

TechNick

Oct 30, 2011
GPU is basically needed to play HD videos and games. That said, the Novo7 seems to have better specs than 7022, but I haven't heard about that "Adopts A10 multi-core" processor. But even if it's a single core running at 1GHz if it has a better GPU, and you take into account the dual camera, remote control, more memory (7022 comes with 4GB), then I think it's an incredible value indeed. The good points for 7022 are that it's a well known brand, probably you should be able to exchange it easily if you have a problem, and the online community for mods. If it's not important to you, then go for Novo7 and post your review after a few days using it. :p

Well, the main draw towards the MID7127 for me is the great form factor. The camera is centered above the screen, it has two stereo speakers on the back, and the buttons on the front are moved towards the top so you don't select them when just grabbing the tablet by the edges. I was initially drawn to the MID7022 because of the capacitive screen, but I didn't care for the strange button layout (no volume control on device). And while the Novo7 is more powerful, it has buttons all along the right side so it seems like hitting them while holding the tablet could be an issue. The 7022 also seems well supported with many different tweaks available, where the Novo7 is still pretty unknown.

So those of you with the 7022, does the Mali200 feel like a bottleneck?

Last edited:

kantonburg

Nov 4, 2011
I'm just jumping in here because I'm just starting to look for a tablet for my daughter. I had decided on the 7022 and then saw the 7127 on Coby's site. I'm like the OP that I like the layout of the 7127 better, but I keep reading that they've gone to a different CPU manufacturer. Is this really a deal breaker?

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I'm just jumping in here because I'm just starting to look for a tablet for my daughter. I had decided on the 7022 and then saw the 7127 on Coby's site. I'm like the OP that I like the layout of the 7127 better, but I keep reading that they've gone to a different CPU manufacturer. Is this really a deal breaker?

7022 and 7127 have the same CPU manufacturer (Telechips) while the older Kyros like 7024 used Samsung CPU.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I suppose that's my question. Is there any concern with the change?
There isnt a big difference but the Samsung CPU has better speed and graphics but the Samsung CPU tablets run Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) while Telechips CPU tablets run Android OS 2.3 (Gingerbread).

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
There isnt a big difference but the Samsung CPU has better speed and graphics but the Samsung CPU tablets run Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) while Telechips CPU tablets run Android OS 2.3 (Gingerbread).

Xx24 series already have gingerbread and the are 1024 being sold with gingerbread pre-installed.

Sent from my typewriter.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Xx24 series already have gingerbread and the are 1024 being sold with gingerbread pre-installed.

Sent from my typewriter.

I checked Coby's website for 1024 it says android 2.2 but you are right you can flash android 2.3 on xx24 tablets

mg2018

Nov 7, 2011

this is a great tablet and in fact is the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Just make sure to load Super Task Killer and Cache Cleaner and it will perform well . Coby did just announce (December 2011) they have new models coming out very soon which will be android 4.0 and better than even the honeycomb android. You may just want to wait and get their latest ones.