need suggestions for used verizon capable tablet

delll'abate

Jul 16, 2016
hi.

i have a phone with unlimited data from back when verizon gave such deals at good rates. so, obviously, i can't change my plan! i also have a crappy laptop that is out of date.

however, i almost never use the minutes on my phone, and am planning to do the following.
1 - get a pay as you go flip phone for the times i really do need a phone
2 - get a used tablet, stick my verizon micro SIM* card in it, and have an unlimited data tablet!
3 - use my google voice number for sms
4 - use skype and similar for actually talking to people more often
5 - get one of those tablet carrying cases that doubles (via bluetooth or usb i guess) as a keyboard as necessary

that way i get a new laptop and, ideally, keep my unlimited data plan.

however, i'm not too smart about tablets. i need something that is relatively stable, and runs standard apps, like:

google voice
newsblur
sirius xm
moviepass

does anyone have any recommendations of a used model with a still pretty good lifetime ahead of it?

does anyone think i will have problems with verizon using my micro SIM* card on a tablet?

anyone done anything similar and found it not successful?

thanks!

* edited to correct from Micro SD card to Micro SIM card. Duh.

Last edited:

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Micro SD card doesn't give you unlimited data. Sim card does. Function of your carrier. Data goes with the IMEI of the phone. Get a new phone, to swap the unlimited data to it, you need to activate on Verizon. You're better off rooting phone and tethering tablet to it. Now, tablet uses your phones data, which is unlimited.

delll'abate

Jul 16, 2016
Micro SD card doesn't give you unlimited data. Sim card does. Function of your carrier. Data goes with the IMEI of the phone. Get a new phone, to swap the unlimited data to it, you need to activate on Verizon. You're better off rooting phone and tethering tablet to it. Now, tablet uses your phones data, which is unlimited.

Thanks, yes, sorry, I meant Micro Sim card, not Micro SD...

Why is it better to tether the tablet to the phone, rather than put the Micro SIM in the tablet?

Any suggestions on models to get?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Just to note that tethering may be a violation of the Verizon terms of service and could result in account termination.

Look for a Samsung tablet from last year. It should have plenty of life left to it.