Netbook or Android tablet?

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
Guys, I'm looking to buy a cheap netbook or Android tablet to keep in my car for when I drive and need to get online to check directions, phone numbers and other things.

I was going to buy something cheap and or used and I see that I can now pick up a netbook for around 100-150 but I was wondering if I should go the tablet with Android route for all the apps. NOT that I really need a bunch of apps but hey, it could be cool.

My main thing is surfing/browser and wifi. Yeah, I do prefer a keyboard but I can get those cheap for the tablets.

Any input? Also, if someone has anything suitable for sale, PM me.

I forgot, I have NO desire to play any games whatsoever.
Also, being able to watch videos on youtube would be cool.

Thanks

George

Last edited:

ShroomSJS

Jun 9, 2011
I have both and recommend the tablet. I only break my netbook out for school work. The tablet is always on so you don't have to wait for the device to boot and the OS to load. It is great for web browsing, email, reading books and pdf documents, reading the news. My tablet even has a sort of office app that allows you to create word and excel documents.

I have a regular 15" laptop plus a 10". Once the 10" dies, I doubt I'll get a new one. I will definitely replace my tablet though.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
I'm not even gonna ask why you picked the nickname Shroom :)

Seriously though, any recommendations for a tablet around 100-125 bucks?

I prefer a bigger screen and better battery power/time.

Also, I read on some reviews of android tablets that they had a hard time downloading all apps. Ie, only some would download. Is this an issue with tablets? Also, does it matter which version of Android I get?

I DON'T want to have to do a bunch of workarounds. I have enough of that with my normal equipment :(

Thanks

George

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Honestly, i would buy the netbook. You will have to pay consderably more for a tablet that will do what you want out of the box than you will for a netbook.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
..and the fight's on :)

I figured this wouldn't be as easy as everyone agreeing. Anyone else?

Thanks guys

George

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
I vote tablet, if only because keyboards in cars suck unless you have a good mount, and that will cost you more than the netbook will. Add in the gps capability of most tablets and you can not only check directions but also be routed to your destination.

I drive for a living (I do early intervention in-home services for kids with speech and language problems), and I use my tablet for basically what you're talking about (plus scheduling, checking email, quick document edits, etc.) and frankly the thought of doing it with a netbook sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
My reply was based on cost, you will pay at least twice as much for a tablet than a netbook but if you have 350.00 to 450.00 to spend a tablet, based soley on funltionality over cost may well be perfect for you. Since you said you weren't interested in modding the tablet there really is no less expensive tablet option.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
Thanks Tom. I can't really justify buying a more expensive tablet so you're right. So, the low cost tablets like the Coby won't cut it?

George

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
I vote tablet, if only because keyboards in cars suck unless you have a good mount, and that will cost you more than the netbook will. Add in the gps capability of most tablets and you can not only check directions but also be routed to your destination.

I drive for a living (I do early intervention in-home services for kids with speech and language problems), and I use my tablet for basically what you're talking about (plus scheduling, checking email, quick document edits, etc.) and frankly the thought of doing it with a netbook sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

Uhmm - just how many tablets with GPS can you name vs all those that do not? Aside from the ones offered by cellular companies like the Galaxy, Xoom, Streak 5, and maybe a couple others, the vast majority that I see available do not have GPS included (I am looking at one of the more interesting new exceptions, a Wintec Filemate, tho...).

Whatever, you still need to work out where the navigation data are coming from - either the cellular models with a data plan, or tethering off a cell phone, which can be quite troublesome to set up (like my Archos 5 - won't play nice with either of my Verzion phones).

As for keyboards in cars, my experience with both note/net books and tablets (been through about 7 in the 7-inch category) is that onscreen keyboards and touch screen pointers (incl my touchscreen netbooks like a Fujitsu P1610) are quite difficult to control with any vehicle motion interference. The best solution I have found is a handheld trackball that does not need a flat surface to be used (whether onscreen, on a notebook touchpad, or a separate mousepad), and that should work with tablets that can provide host USB ports as with note/net books - those can be hard to find, also.

FWIW.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
Just remember you get what you pay for. You are unlikely to find a "good tablet experience" for that price range. I say netbook based on that and that you don't want to have to fuss with anything or work arounds. Also I'm not sure if anyone else can confirm this, but many USB modems are not compatible with Android OS?

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
Hmm, maybe I need to into more detail here. First, I intend to pull over when using it so that should be no problem. Second, GPS is not something I need 'cause I have that in the truck. My main thing is looking up info on the web like store's phone numbers, movie theater times and stuff like that. I would like to be able to check my web mail which of course I can with any browser and I would like to be able to go to youtube but that's pretty much it. Nothing fancy, I have a laptop for that.

I need something cheap that I can keep in the truck. Quick or instant on is a plus and ability to have it sitting in the truck without charging it for a long time is a plus too which I'm sure gives a nod to the tablet..the question of course is also, IF I go with the tablet, WHICH ONE should I go with and what specs?

Thanks again guys

George

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks Tom. I can't really justify buying a more expensive tablet so you're right. So, the low cost tablets like the Coby won't cut it?

George

Thats the real problem, they may or may not. I can almost guarantee if you get an inexpensive tablet you will soon know more about Android, through necessity, than you probably want to. There is also a rather high failure rate among inexpensive tablets.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It just occured to me that I seem to be advocating against tablets, and that is silly. I have more fun with my tablets than I have had with a computer of any kind in years. I started with, and still have an Archos, then got a Huawei S7 (also still have, and although it took a little effort it is a great inexpensive tablet- I paid 250.00 for it) and I now use mostly a Galaxy Tab 7 inch which I am in love with.
I would almost suggest you grab a tablet, such as ths Coby 7022, from a place you can return it, and see if it meets your needs. You may just fall in love with Android like so many people here have.