Netbook or Android tablet?

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
You're not advocating against, just trying to help ME which is what this thread's about and I appreciate it. Although the idea to look at one in the stores is a good one. However, does anyone know which stores have FULL return without restocking fee?
Many has changed now. Personally, I have a very short decision process and usually, if I like something in the store, that's it. I don't tend to change my mind so basically, I could try one out in the store, however, not sure many of them around here will have something in stock, BUT, I guess I can call around and find out :)

Thanks Tom

happybird

Jul 18, 2011
everybody is buying android tablet pc now, if you want gps function, maybe you can buy wits a81g, also i have heard there come out wits a91 already, wits tablet pc seems not bad, maybe you can a look:
Buy ti gps tablet pc, tiomaps3 tablet pc, ti tablet pc, 7" Capacitive Ti ARM Cortex A8 1gHz 4GB Camera Android 2.3 Flash 10.1 Built-in Bluetooth GPS tablet pc at **************

Buy gps mid, cortex a8 mid, cortex a8 android 2.2, 7" Cortex A8 Multi Touch Capacitive Android 2.2 Flash 10.1 Bluetooth WiFi GPS mid at **************

Buy gps tablet pc, cortex a8 mid, cortex a8 android 2.2, 7" Tiomap3 Cortex A8 GPS Bluetooth Flash 10.1 Android 2.2 tablet pc mid at **************

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Hold on, don't the tablets come with built in wifi?
Yes, almost all do have wifi (vs GPS and 3g/cellular). However, the sensitivity/strength can vary widely. If that is how you plan on getting your info, have you worked out WHERE you can make wifi connections on the road? Tethering on your cell phone seems the most obvious option there for maximum availability (vs "free" hotspots - beware their lack of security if you plan on using your primary Gmail account - I set up a dummy for basic Android Google services, but that's my paranoia).

In that case you need to check into how much effort that will involve since most tethering solutions involve the phone creating an adhoc network, and Android implementations by the various tablet vendors do not work with adhoc without tweaks that involve rooting the tablet.

An alternative I found was an LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile with the "Quick Settings" package installed. That gives you a "managed" Access Point (vs adhoc) on the Sprint network (VM's parent - so check Sprint coverage where you go) at $25 a month for 300 minutes voice (don't really need that, do you?), and UNLIMITED (within VM's definition of "reasonable") data. I tried it for a while with my adhoc-unfriendly Archos 5, and it worked fine. Also, that tethering is generally against most cell providers' Terms Of Service (TOS), but if you keep it "light", they do not generally catch on - YMMV.

A myfi type gadget should get around most of the issues above, but I have not looked too closely into them since the prices were too high for my budget.

Re, returns, CompUSA (most major tablets), CVS (Craig - amazingly capable for $100, but wifi may be flakely per unit), Walmart (check the Wintec Filemate Light for about $218, which includes GPS as a bonus), are OK (so far...) about no-penalty returns. With CompUSA, make sure the particular tablet has the 30-day return 'no questions asked' guarantee.

BTW, have you considered an Android phone with a big screen (4+ inches)? They have the same (or better) 800x480 resolution as most 7-inch tablets, and the data access is part of the package. That way you can have an all-in-one solution. Just a thought...

HTH,
R

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
Well, I was just going to get online where there ARE hotspots. Also, I have the Nexus one with Froyo which also works as a hotspot although it's slow as hell! The screen is way too small for my messed up eyes so that won't work for me. Otherwise, I would have been alright.

I went today and looked at tablets at BB and I think the 7" would be the way to go for me but, I may just stick with a cheap netbook. I can get an HP locally for 125 in very good condition (so the ad says) so I may just give that a whirl and if I don't like it, I can always sell it at that price. I had a gigabyte with a touch screen that I sold (netbook)...oh well :)

I am still interested by the instant on of the tablets and I found one on craigslist that WAS rooted already but the guy had sold it. Too bad, the price was good. Mind you, I'm not in a hurry so I may get both and get rid of the one I don't like.

As for Verizon, I think they're crooked as hell. Just thought I'd throw that in :)

Thanks

George

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
Ok, can you guys tell me what the differences are between these Coby tablets? I see the obvious, 7" vs 8", Android 2.2 vs 2.3 but is that it and could you please give me the pros of the different models. I may yet try one to see if I like it. Like I said, the instant on is a very big plus. When you power these things down or suspend them, how long do they usually last on a charge or does the charge even run out when you power them down?
Tablets: Tablet PC, Tablet Computer - Best Buy

Note! I would like to be able to watch videos on you tube so if the android version makes a difference there, please let me know. Again, NO gaming or GPS for me. GPS is something I could use but I don't HAVE to have it, I have that in the truck and I NEVER play games. Internet as in browser and possibly document viewing are the most important things.

Are there any apps that you can draw with or that have handwriting recognition an ANdroid and if so, would I need a capacitive or resistive screen? I see that Coby is coming out with one with capacitive. Not sure what's best for what I want.

Do you guys use screen protectors for the tablets and will they run ok with one on?

Thanks

George

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You may want to post in the Coby section where there are many enthusiastic users who can answer specific questions about the devices.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
Uhmm - just how many tablets with GPS can you name vs all those that do not? Aside from the ones offered by cellular companies like the Galaxy, Xoom, Streak 5, and maybe a couple others, the vast majority that I see available do not have GPS included (I am looking at one of the more interesting new exceptions, a Wintec Filemate, tho...).

Whatever, you still need to work out where the navigation data are coming from - either the cellular models with a data plan, or tethering off a cell phone, which can be quite troublesome to set up (like my Archos 5 - won't play nice with either of my Verzion phones).

As for keyboards in cars, my experience with both note/net books and tablets (been through about 7 in the 7-inch category) is that onscreen keyboards and touch screen pointers (incl my touchscreen netbooks like a Fujitsu P1610) are quite difficult to control with any vehicle motion interference. The best solution I have found is a handheld trackball that does not need a flat surface to be used (whether onscreen, on a notebook touchpad, or a separate mousepad), and that should work with tablets that can provide host USB ports as with note/net books - those can be hard to find, also.

FWIW.

I'll take back that most tablets have gps, all I can really say on that front is that the ones I checked out did because it was important to me, and I did not have a hard time finding a good range of tablets. Since the OP doesn't care about gps, it's moot anyways.

As to using keyboard while driving, I would NEVER advocate that! I spent years working in a clinic for head injured people, and most of them came to us from motor vehicle accidents due to focusing on non-driving activities. My message was that *while stopped* in a car using a keyboard is a painful experience for me whereas using an osk is much more manageable.

I personally just stop my car outside of a Starbucks or some other spot with wifi when I want to hit the web, this avoids all the 3g etc. issues.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
I'll take back that most tablets have gps, all I can really say on that front is that the ones I checked out did because it was important to me, and I did not have a hard time finding a good range of tablets. Since the OP doesn't care about gps, it's moot anyways.

As to using keyboard while driving, I would NEVER advocate that! I spent years working in a clinic for head injured people, and most of them came to us from motor vehicle accidents due to focusing on non-driving activities. My message was that *while stopped* in a car using a keyboard is a painful experience for me whereas using an osk is much more manageable.

I personally just stop my car outside of a Starbucks or some other spot with wifi when I want to hit the web, this avoids all the 3g etc. issues.

Ah - I realize now how wrongly I came across on that now :-(
I was referring to situations where I was the passenger while my wife was driving. Stuff like doing Google maps lookups and plotting route changes with that or, when I used it, Street Atlas on Windoze. Regarding SA, I pretty much gave up on it since it would not let me tweak the Windoze GUI to scale up its tiny fonts, scrollbars, menu buttons, etc (plus not being realtime when using 3g data access).

Those scenarios with car in motion (and me NOT being the driver) make any kind of touchy/feely interface that depends on a stable surface (as I noted in original post) very difficult to use. Physical keyboards have the advantage of discrete buttons to "home" the fingertip on, if not those unstable chiclet types that have become so popular (again - used to be choice for super cheap gizmos back in the day - look up IBM PC Jr). That also applies with a handheld trackball (got some cheap, but very functional ones that look like large, smooth golf balls with the ball on top, and a "trigger" type mouse button mechanism underneath - have not seen anywhere for several years now) - holding them "in the air" eliminates bounces from surfaces in contact with the car. If you are indeed only considering usage when stopped (most definitely when driving solo!), then anything goes that works for you of course.

Then there's voice input... ;-)

FWIW, my "safety tip": I still would urge thinking through the security aspects of using public unencrypted wifi hotspots such as Starbucks - look into setting up a VPN at home to access thusly as I can do per my employer's public wifi access policy.

HTH

Last edited:

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
First, the VPN and all that, not gonna happen, I'm too stupid and too impatient to even attempt it. Second, when I'm on the road, all I plan on doing (99% of the time) is look up info like a store phone number and so on so no biggie there.

As for doing this stuff while driving...hell, I feel retarded for looking up someone on my phone and calling them while driving but yes, I've done it and still do it :(

The chiclet keys, SUCK!

I just bought a Kyros 7022 and I may yet get another netbook (had a gigabyte that I let go recently) if I can get one cheap enough so we'll see how this works out. The Kyros I have yet to receive though.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Frankly I call whoever I want when I'm driving. I have no interest in living in a nanny state where the government trys to micromanage everyones lives. Lets face it, too many laws are passed that limit the freedoms of law abiding citizens and yet are completely ignored by people that are either irresponsible or criminal in nature. I am of course speaking of the United States but I imagine it is probably even worse eleswhere in the world.
Oh yeah, stay focused, I'm perfectly happy with my wifi only Galaxy Tab as well, hehe

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

guiri

Jul 16, 2011
If people were responsible and policed themselves, there would be no need for laws, but...

:)

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
If people were responsible and policed themselves, there would be no need for laws, but...

:)

QFT!

You'd think people would have enough sense to *drive* when they drive, not endanger themselves, and far worse, the rest of us by texting, calling, watching video, or doing all sorts of other things which end up with people in comas.