New and in need of a bit (maybe more than bit) of help

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nice to have you going again :) You should now have the top hat icon mentioned before. You may want to open that app and then choose flash Clockwork Mod Recovery. It will reinstall the program on your internal memory so you should be able to enter it with power + n if needed. If not, you still have the bootable recovery card you created. This is handy for future updates (like CM9 which is Android 4.0 and should be available in the next couple of months) and backing up and restoring your Nook in general.

JP :D

jer58

Aug 6, 2012
Hi,

I have a Nook Color which was recently updated to V1.4.2 (I think?). Not sure if that matters to the following...
I followed the instructions given in this post exactly. I downloaded and installed win32diskimager. I used that to image a 32G SD card with the clockwork recovery. Then I copied the CM7 and the Google apps zip files to the same card. I powered the Nook down and inserted the SD card and then powered up by pressing the power and the "N" button simultaneously. The Nook booted up into the Clockwork recover 'app'. I followed the instructions and did; a data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, wipe Dalvik cache. Then I installed the CM7 and the Google apps from the zip files on the SD card and powered down the Nook and removed the SD card.
When I powered up, the system came up into CM7, but then the problem began.
I repeatedly get the following pop-up error message: "Sorry The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" from which the only option is to touch a "Force Close" buttom. This happens fairly often all by itself.
This also happens whenever I try to access the Android Market. It begins to open the market and then that pop-up happens and the market app closes.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a fix/workaround? For this to be an even minimally functional tablet, I will need to be able to get to the Android Market.

Thank you in advance,
Jon

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Jon, please try searching the forum for the error message you got and you will see this is very common and there is a simple fix. Just go into settings>apps> all apps find google services frame work, force close it clear data/cache and then reboot. If you keep having problems just put the bootable CWR card back in and boot to recovery then make sure you clear the cache partition and dalvik cache. When you reboot you should be ok. Any time you flash a ROM (like CM7) you need to clear the caches.

jer58

Aug 6, 2012
J515OP,
Sorry about not searching. Thought of it about 10 seconds after I posted, but was too late. Will do better.
OK, I did as you suggest:
1) Settings -> Apps -> All Apps - Google Services Framework. Did a force close and a clear data. Could NOT do a clear cache as that button was grayed out. Rebooted... same behavior.
2) Reinserted CWR and did Clear Cache Partition, and Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik cache. Power down. Remove SDC. Power up... Same behavior. At this point I reiterated on item 1 above and it didn't help this time either.

Did as you suggest and searched on this error message. Found a post that suggested similar to 1 above, but also suggested: Settings -> Apps -> All Apps do a Force Stop/Clear Data on Gmail, and Contact Storage. Did that, and Rebooted...same behavior.

Thoughts?

jer58

Aug 6, 2012
Finally, success! :)

Posting my experiences here in hopes that it helps someone else.

Several times I went through the above process of downloading the CWRmod and imaging it to an SD card. Then I copied the CM7 and apps market Zips to the card. Inserted the card and booted into CWR. From there I did a Factory reset, followed by wipe cache, followd by Advanced -> wipe Dalvik cache. Then I installed CM7 and apps market.
Something wasn't right, however, as each time I came up into CyanogenMod for the first time, my Nook would automatically connect to my wifi network (I didn't have to supply the network security key). To me, I would expect a factory reset to clear that information out and require me to 're-login' to my network.
I finally found the answer. It turns out I have something called a "blue dot Nook". I purchased this about 14 months ago and evidently at that time, B&N was making changes to the internal memory map in order to try to prevent users from rooting their devices.
The result of that was that the device wasn't being completely erased and/or the new OS wasn't placed where it needed to be. That resulted in the pop-up error messages "the process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly...".
So what you have to do is run a couple of extra steps prior to the ones I mentioned above. These extra steps repartition the internal memory so that the later steps of factory reset, wiping cache and wiping Dalvik cache will work correctly. Here are the specific steps I used.
Go to this page: [HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media [Archive] - xda-developers
The first post on this page is by DeanGibson. About 2/3 through he talks about needing to download one of three available repartition ZIP files (I picked the 5G /data and 1G /media version). Then in the next paragraph he mentions you also need to download a file called ReformatData_v1.zip.
After you have downloaded these files, you need to copy them to the SD card that has the CWRmod image and the CM7 and google apps Zips.
Follow the instructions on that page. I.e. Insert the SD card and boot into CWR. Install the Repartition Zip file. When that finishes, you need to REBOOT (back into CWR). Then install the ReformatData Zip file.
Then at this point I followed the standard instructions for rooting:
1) Factory Reset
2) Wipe Cache
3) Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik cache.
4) Install the CM7 file from ZIP.
5) Install the Google apps from Zip.
6) Power down and remove SD card.
7) Power up into CM7 and enjoy. (When I did this the first time after repartitioning memory, I had to enter the network security key, and no more pop-up errors).

Thank you in particular to J515OP for your previous response. I appreciate you taking time from your day to help.
Regards,
Jon

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Jon, sorry to hear you had a few issues to work through to get it going but I am glad you eventually got it worked out. These little Nooks have a pretty long history in the tablet world and with a little research and persistence you can eventually get them working the way you want. Nice recap of the procedure for others. Enjoy your Nook and don't forget to get out http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-apps-games/11344-free-amazon-app-day.html.

JP