New Archos 70 one big problem one small

gregr

Jan 3, 2011
Got a 250g A70 last night and it works beautifully but I've got two issues I need help fixing. First is the analog clock that appears on the main homescreen-- I can't move it to the trash. The rest of the screen works properly- press and hold and the trashcan appears (you can move the icon, etc) but nothing happens when I press on the clockface. I can't figure out how to remove this thing and it takes up some valuable real estate. Help on that would be much appreciated.
Second issue is I get error 206 when I run the firmware update. It comes with version 1.0.90 (2.1 update 1) and the update file is 2.0.71. The firmware file downloads fine but after the reboot when the logo comes up there is an error message: "Error- update file in not valid. Error 206". It froze there but luckily holding down the power button for several seconds forced it to reboot with the 2.1 OS. Any advice on what to do about this firmware update issue?

CarsnGadgets

Dec 6, 2010
1. try very lightly pressing and holding the very edge of the clock widget until it changes to the dragable form, then gently pull it to the bin. A lot of people have trouble because they are pressing too hard, or are pressing the centre of the widget/icon.

2. go to archos.com and go to downloads, find your 70 in the product list and download the update file to your pc. connect the archos by usb and copy the file to the root folder of the internal storage (just loose, not in a directory and dont change the name at all). disconnect the usb using the dropdown menu from the notification bar at the top of the screen on your 70, not using the safely unmount thing in windows. your archos should see the update and prompt you, if not try rebooting it.

Last edited:

gregr

Jan 3, 2011
Ahh- thank you! I will do the firmware update now. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

gregr

Jan 3, 2011
Voila- update complete. Easy as pie... once you get help from someone who knows what they're doing.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
It's weird everyone sates how you need to do a manual update, because it fails but i got mine last friday and i did the OTA update form 2.1 to 2.2.1 without even knowing that it would failt and it worked just fine for me i did not need to do the manual update. So how are you liking your tablet so far any issues with it? Not sure why but sometimes mine auto reboots itself if i have the WIFI on and the tablet is on idle. I'm not sure if its when the wifi is on, but i turned it off and had no issue. Still trying to figure out whats causing these random reboots.

When this happens i think the tablet is frozen without me knowing and when i look the battery gets drained, but if i don't have the issue the battery is fine its like something is locking it up and causing it to loop or something.

The only thing i did so far to the tablet is install the Google market as instructed on a post, no hacking besides that not even rooted...

I suspect it might be an app i have, might have to uninstall and re-start installs because the first day i got it i never had this issue... But im not sure if it it was because of the market install.. Let me know if u have this issue at any point. Thanks.

gregr

Jan 3, 2011
So far I'm liking it a lot! It's the Android OS so it has bugs- I got used to that, or at least familiar, because I have a Droid X and I know bugs are par for the course. If it weren't for forums like this one I'd go nuts. Anyhow- I've only had the A70 for a very short time but so far so good. I loaded a couple games and all my e-books and those actions all went very smoothly. There was some weirdness with screen rotation but it seems to have worked itself out.
As far as what you're experiencing with the battery and possible app issue-- that is exactly how my Droid X acts when an app hangs. I notice the phone acts sluggish and it warms up and if I monitor it I can see the battery dying quicker than normal. A battery pull fixes it so I'd just suggest a reboot for the A70. Hopefully the gurus of the forum can help you figure which app is causing the glitch.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
So far I'm liking it a lot! It's the Android OS so it has bugs- I got used to that, or at least familiar, because I have a Droid X and I know bugs are par for the course. If it weren't for forums like this one I'd go nuts. Anyhow- I've only had the A70 for a very short time but so far so good. I loaded a couple games and all my e-books and those actions all went very smoothly. There was some weirdness with screen rotation but it seems to have worked itself out.
As far as what you're experiencing with the battery and possible app issue-- that is exactly how my Droid X acts when an app hangs. I notice the phone acts sluggish and it warms up and if I monitor it I can see the battery dying quicker than normal. A battery pull fixes it so I'd just suggest a reboot for the A70. Hopefully the gurus of the forum can help you figure which app is causing the glitch.

Yeah i'm forced to reboot everytime, but that still doesn't explain why i see it reboot on its own sometimes.. So you have not installed the GOOGLE market and are only using APPSLIB so far? Maybe installing the google market/frame work caused an issue? I mean i can deal with it, but a bit annoying.

gregr

Jan 3, 2011
Sorry- didn't see your reply. I did install gapps and market and have not experienced the glitch you are seeing. Something isn't right with your tablet- I say that not as an expert but just based on what I've seen so far of mine and what I've read here and there. There's a conflict somewhere and as annoying as it it you might be best off doing a factory reset and starting from scratch to figure out where the problem is coming from.
I keep mine in airplane mode when I don't need internet access (most of the time) and the battery performs adequately (and no mystery re-boots or other unexplained behavior). I have several games, some live wallpapers and lots of books loaded, not much more than that though-- no app managers/task killers etc.

Vernal21

Jan 8, 2011
I just got my A70 250GB yesterday and I can't put it down. I'm definitely not a technical guy but thanks to this site I've now downloaded almost everything recommended in these threads, and all I can say is that I'm loving the device more by the second - with no problems at all. It's streaming media files from my desktop; it tethers flawlessly to my Nokia N900; it now has the full Android market; BBC Iplayer, internet radio, Gmail, you tube etc all working beautifully. All for less than £250. Very, very happy. I'm sure I'll come across the odd problem in the future but I know where to come for all the answers.

Thanks to all.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Try installing a home replacement app, it makes it run so much smoother.

Its best if you do it by doing the market fix (I posted about it), then you can get it straight from the Google Market.
The fix allows you to literally see all apps on the market.

gregr

Jan 3, 2011
Have you tried many home apps? I've tried none... wondering which ones are good and which to stay away from.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I have, actually, many people are fans of adw launcher or launcherpro, I'm a fan of adw launcher, personally.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Tablet Forum App