New guy and a Security Certificate Question

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Interesting. The first link was a site I have with no security and as expected, no errors. The second site is a bank site and uses SSL but you didn't get any error.

Man I have no idea.

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
So the browser is raising a cert exception becuase you are going to https://blue162.mail.com ... and the cert is issued to mail.live.com. The host names do not match, so that causes the exception you are seeing. WHY don't you just go to https://mail.live.com ??? I don't do ms live ... but I don't get why you would be going to that URL , and why it isn't redirecting you ....I get a 302 back to login.live.com when I use that host name.

As for other sites ... same principle applies .... if the cert name does not match the site name, the browser is going to throw an exception like that. That's one of the points of SSL and showing you the little lock and web security :)

See if the other sites you are going to aren't the same type of problem ... the name you typed in the browser not matching the certificate CN.

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
The problem happens when I hit the "Sign In" button. I can look all over the site no matter how I get there until I hit "Sign In" and am redirected. I have tried starting with hotmail.com, m.mail.live.com, mail.live.com, etc and they all work until I "Sign In". As mentioned earlier this is probably not a NC issue and is probably between Hotmail and how the NC browser is looking at it. I have posted the question on the Hotmail fourm and have yet to get a response.

Thank you all for the time you have spent trying to help with this, maybe it will just never work.

Karl

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
Here is the response I got from the hotmail people.

Follow the steps below on how to go about this issue:
I. Go to windows update at: Microsoft Windows Update
II. Select Custom Updates.
III. Select the "Root Certificate Update" component to download.
IV. Optimize Internet Explorer, and then reset your default browser settings. Click "Here" for the instructions.
If you’re using a browser other than Internet Explorer, please visit its Help section.
V. Make sure that date and time settings on the computer are correct.

This sounds wonderful if I was using IE. Does any of it give you guys some ideas on what I could try?

Thanx

pgamark

Jul 8, 2011
We are having an issue with our mobile application. Users cannot get to our secure sites after being upgraded to 2.3.3. Everything worked fine in 2.2 ...

Help!