New, Need Help, Generic maybe P.O.S.

ChefKitty

Oct 19, 2010
So I just received my tablet today, straight from the clone capital shenzhen.
First red flag is that they declared value of the package was only $30 (eek, I just paid four times that much for it)

Here's the specs from the ebay posting:

• CPU Type: VIA VT8505 ARM926
  • Operating System: Google Android 1.7
  • LCD Size: 7" TFT LCD
  • Resolution: 800 x 480
  • Touch Screen: Full Size, High Sensitive Touch Operation
  • System Memory: Spec True 256MB Memory (many in the market are fake 256MB)
  • Storage Device Type: Nand Flash
  • Capacity: 2GB
  • Camera: Pixel 1.3Mega
  • Built-in Stereo speakers
  • Built-in Microphone
  • LAN: External Fast 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Adapter
  • WLAN: Built-in 802.11b/g WLAN
  • 1 x TF Card Slot
  • I/O PORT
  • 2 x USB2.0
  • 1 x Headphone
  • Built in G-Sensor Gravity Inducer, Auto Horizontal Screen
  • AC Power Adaptor: 100V Input, 9V DC Output, 2A
  • Battery Pack: Built in 2400 mAh Batteries
  • Dimension: 19.9 x 12.8 x 0.8-1.4cm

And from the About Device screen:
Memory size 256 MB
Model number generic
Firmware version 1.6
Kernel version 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number WMT2.0_105

So first of all, what the heck can I do to make this thing a little less sluggish and buggy?
Second, I tried to download SlideMe (multiple times) and each time I try to open after installing, it force closes. Why isn't it working??
Third, WHAT IS IT? What device do I have?

The seller hasn't been extremely forthcoming, but also not entirely unresponsive. I just want to make it better.

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Without pics, that "I/O port" and "Ethernet Adapter" make me think FlyTouch (or clone).
The VIA chipset tablets are sluggish. They powered the very first generation of Android tablets, and are still in use in the cheaper models.
You shouldn't worry about the package value - on the contrary, it's lowered on purpose, to ease the package's transition thru customs smoother.

ChefKitty

Oct 19, 2010
I tried to install the latest onto the tablet, which made it much much worse. The touch functionality is gone (I have to plug a mouse into the tab), The unit will either not boot past the android logo screen, or will shut off if I unplug the (fully charged) tab from the wall, and wifi is kaput.
This is so frustrating! Why must android tablets be so obscure

ChefKitty

Oct 19, 2010
I guess it's back to square one then. Or maybe off to the land of craigslist.

lafatlife

Sep 23, 2010
Not to take away from this thread but if you go to slatedroid and have a look at the flytouch thread you will be able to flash your rom with a newer version. I found my flytouch to be very sluggish until I did the update. It is a lot better now and the touch screen works well.

dtrammell93

Dec 3, 2010
i have the same flytouch as chefkitty. and i was wondering if there are any firmware upgrades cuz the manufacturer told me there wasnt