New Never had a tablet until now Need to know everything

CATTITUDEPALACE

Mar 17, 2014
Hi,
My problem is I am new and just bought the 10.1" Google Android 4.03 Tablet PC 8GB 1GB DDR3 tablet.
It does not come with a manual or anything to even tell me how to turn it on.
I have plugged it in to charge the battery, but doesn't it seem like it would come on just by being plugged in?
When I hit the button to turn it on all I get is a quick screen with it showing the battery and it is charging, then it shuts off.
I'm not even sure how long to charge the battery.
I wish they would come out with a book for dummies on these tablets.
I would appreciate any help you may be able to give me.
I am 64 and have never had anything like this, so I know nothing.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello CATTITUDEPALACE,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Google tablet. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.

Unfortunately, many tablets come without even minimal instructions and the ones that do provide instructions often come with instructions in a hybrid of English and some foreign language that's nearly impossible to understand. Due to the fact the manufacturers are allowed to modify the Android system and the hardware to suit their own purposes, a general "book for dummies" would be very difficult to create. Two tablets with the same Android operating system wouldn't necessarily work exactly the same. Sometimes a manufacturer will post instruction on the website, you could check to see if yours did.

That said, a couple hours of charging should be sufficient to get you started. On my tablet, that "quick screen with it showing the battery" also indicates the state of charge and after it's sufficiently charged the tablet stays on. Yours may or may not behave the same. Once you disconnect the charger and turn the tablet on, a little battery icon should appear on your screen indication the state of charge. A short tap of the Power button will typically put the tablet to "sleep" or "wake" it up. Holding the button in will turn it completely off and you'll then have to hold it in until it turns it back on again.

Enjoy your new tablet and the forum!