New Onda Vi40 User? Confused? So was I...

James2205

May 28, 2012
I purchased my Onda Vi40 from eBay, and when it arrived it looked great - but I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get a lot of the apps that I was used to on my iPhone, and that I could see were available (just not for my device!). Twitter, Facebook most notably, but also no Google Chrome browser...
So after a little research I found out that I needed to get a custom firmware update (custom ROM of ICS). There are a few it seems, and the idea of flashing the Onda wasn't without it's concerns, but in the end I chose the Top Notch Tablets version - it seems the most widely used, and the instructions are pretty clear!! Their website is Top Notch Tablets | U.K. Based Reseller, Fast Worldwide Shipping, High Quality Tablets, Advanced Support for UK users - there are other versions though, and the firmware is the same I think.
So, took the plunge, and everything went well for me - and now I am much happier with my tablet, and what apps I can get for it!
Hope this helps someone!
Cheers
James

rob01792

May 19, 2012
was it easy to install the firmware and how do u find it ? as im hoping to get mine next week as its in customs in coventry at the moment awaiting clearance
the more i read the more confused i get as i know very little about tablets and pc like how to open the downloaded file what programs i need etc

macthecat

May 16, 2012
was it easy to install the firmware and how do u find it ? as im hoping to get mine next week as its in customs in coventry at the moment awaiting clearance
the more i read the more confused i get as i know very little about tablets and pc like how to open the downloaded file what programs i need etc

hi Rob

There are a number of customer firmwares available and they are quite straight forward to download and install, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/39607-v-1-2-firmware-link.html there are a lot of other flavours it really depends which one suit you best. Just take care to follow the guide and you should be all right, I've 'upgraded' on a few occasion without any problems, still trying to find the perfect one for me I'm currenly using angel 1.2 its a bit laggy on some apps but generaly its fine.

good luck.

rob01792

May 19, 2012
hi mac
how would i download angel 1.2 with rapidshare
hi Rob

There are a number of customer firmwares available and they are quite straight forward to download and install, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/39607-v-1-2-firmware-link.html there are a lot of other flavours it really depends which one suit you best. Just take care to follow the guide and you should be all right, I've 'upgraded' on a few occasion without any problems, still trying to find the perfect one for me I'm currenly using angel 1.2 its a bit laggy on some apps but generaly its fine.

good luck.

macthecat

May 16, 2012
rob01792 said:
hi mac

Hi
yes Mate it is very slow unless you have an account so be patient, there is a realy good video guide on topnotchtablets.com that will help you when you come to install.

James2205

May 28, 2012
hi mac
Hiya,
Not sure about this one - I got all that I needed from Top Notch Tablets - downloaded Live Suit first (am sure it should be suite!!) and the firmware image, and followed the instructions there and it was pretty easy!!
No doubt the other way is as easy - but just wasnt what I did!
Cheers
James

macthecat

May 16, 2012
James2205 said:
Hiya,
Not sure about this one - I got all that I needed from Top Notch Tablets - downloaded Live Suit first (am sure it should be suite!!) and the firmware image, and followed the instructions there and it was pretty easy!!
No doubt the other way is as easy - but just wasnt what I did!
Cheers
James

ok mate,
Pleased you got what you needed we all want different things, if tnt suits you better that's great.

Goodluck mate take care