New overclocked kernel avaiable for the NOOKcolor

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
also, do you have to have setcpu installed before flashing the overclock or is it ok to install after? Is one method better than the other

Not entirely sure, since I've always had setcpu running before doing any kernel flashes and/or overclocking. So after a kernel flash, when back in your NC, move the slider over maximum clock in main tab of setcpu.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Ok guys and gals, here are my results and overall kernel experiences. And all I can say is WOW, they make the NC loads quicker and super fast. The web experience is so much faster.

Again, only use if you know what your are doing. Flashing kernels is not for the faint of heart. Read, read, read before doing flashing and working in Recovery.

Kernel: quickie-900mhz kernel (clocked at 900 mhz)
Stable, very smooth, a lot quicker than stock, slight loss of touch sensitivity at start up, turn your NC to sleep then wake up and the sharp touch sensitivity returns.

4d9851c9.png

dbdcdfc7.png

Kernel: quickie-screamer kernel (clocked at 950 mhz)(Personal favorite)
Stable, very, smooth, a lot quicker than stock, NO loss of touch sensitivity at start up

c61dd45a.png

0377dd29.png

Kernel: quickie-1ghz-test kernel (clocked at 1000 mhz)
Not so stable, some app crashes, generally smooth, a lot quicker than stock although I think it clocks itself slower to maintain stability so I think it felt slower than when at 950mhz, slight loss of touch sensitivity at start up, turn your NC to sleep then wake up and the sharp touch sensitivity returns.

707afd16.png

f6ff448e.png

All in all, very pleased with the kernels, the screamer at 950 is my favorite so far. No report of battery life yet, I'll try to let you all know shortly. These are a great start for the first kernels out for the NC. Many thanks to Geniusdog254 over on xda.

I'm going to try to make a video later on to show you all how quick the NC moves between apps at 950 mhz.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Question. Do we use clockwork recovery and rom manager like we would on other android devices? Do we flash in rom manager then boot into recovery through rom manager. Then do things through recovery like nandroid backup, wipe dalvich cache, wipe cache, install from sdcard, etc.?

*edit: Also I know clockwork can sometimes loose recovery, can we check for recovery in a certain way, like through terminal emulator?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Question. Do we use clockwork recovery and rom manager like we would on other android devices? Do we flash in rom manager then boot into recovery through rom manager. Then do things through recovery like nandroid backup, wipe dalvich cache, wipe cache, install from sdcard, etc.?

*edit: Also I know clockwork can sometimes loose recovery, can we check for recovery in a certain way, like through terminal emulator?

Yes we use both the same way, either flashing from rom manager or in CWR. To your other two recovery questions: yes and yes

Used Rom manager to install the new CWR, see link below.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ckworkmod-recovery-3-0-0-5-a-2.html#post33340

Yes there is a .md5 file to check that was created when doing a backup, see link above.

McBain01

Dec 29, 2010
Got my overclock running. I had to stick with 900. I couldn't get 950 to take. Wouldn't get past the 'n' screen with 950. I recommend putting all the zips for all the kernels on your SD. That way if one doesn't work, you can boot back in to cwr, clear the caches and flash the next one without having to go back to your comp if you get stuck. Worked well for me that way

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I am using the 900mhz. Are you guys using profiles in setcpu? My temp profle doesn't seem to be working properly...its not reading the temp properly. Are profiles really needed on the nook? I am using an ondemand governor

sent from my rooted nook color

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Anyone feel like putting together a quick dummy list? Not with every little step, but maybe something like:
1. Install xyz version 123 (link to page with more instructions)
2. do this (link)
3. Do this (link)

I am more than comfortable tinkering at this level, and I'd love to pep this puppy up a bit. But I'm a little lost. Seems like the pieces are the "screamer" kernel, clockwork recovery, and setcpu?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Anyone feel like putting together a quick dummy list? Not with every little step, but maybe something like:
1. Install xyz version 123 (link to page with more instructions)
2. do this (link)
3. Do this (link)

I am more than comfortable tinkering at this level, and I'd love to pep this puppy up a bit. But I'm a little lost. Seems like the pieces are the "screamer" kernel, clockwork recovery, and setcpu?

I'll see what I can put together tonight. Do you want a tutorial of kernel install/usage only or from Clockwork/rom manager install all the way to kernel usage?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I am aware of how to use clockwork and flash kernels, etc., but I think a full clockwork, rom manager, nandroid backup, kernel guide would be beneficial to all of us. I do things my own way, but would like to have the tried and tested way listed. Thanks!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Markiej I don't know if you saw it yet but Rico did a nice write up in the nook technical subforum.

Sent from my Droid

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
well i've tried the screamer, the 900 and the 1ghz test one, and none of them are stable for me. the 900 and 950mhz takes about 3 tries for the nc to boot up, and when it does some buttons are non responsive, or they take a couple hits to respond like the keyboard and launcher (adw). it doesn't boot up at all with the 1ghz, so i am back to the stock kernel since this actually works the best.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
well i've tried the screamer, the 900 and the 1ghz test one, and none of them are stable for me. the 900 and 950mhz takes about 3 tries for the nc to boot up, and when it does some buttons are non responsive, or they take a couple hits to respond like the keyboard and launcher (adw). it doesn't boot up at all with the 1ghz, so i am back to the stock kernel since this actually works the best.

Did you wipe cache before installing kernel? I had some screen press/hang-up problems with the 900, but they eventually stopped and everything is working properly now, except it doesn't display cpu temp properly.

bdholsin

Jan 18, 2011
Is there any other location besides xda to get the kernels? I can't d/l from there. I'm registered but something is amiss.