New Smartpad Android 2.1 Tablet - Telechip 8902 Based

jmcculloch

Nov 26, 2010
Did you have to do anything in particular to get the wireless working? My Smartpad isn't picking up my ad-hoc network.

jmcculloch

Nov 26, 2010
Did you have to do anything in particular to get the wireless working? My Smartpad isn't picking up my ad-hoc network.

I was able to connect to the Wi-Fi at local hotspots, no problem whatsoever. Apparently my home ad-hoc network doesn't advertise in a manner which is recognized by the SmartPad. My desktops can talk to each other via ad-hoc.

FYI, if you happen to decide to reload the device to defaults, be prepared to change the language from Chinese to Engrish. To do this, open the settings menu, select the "A" icon and then the top menu item. Also, a number of apps are not reinstalled, for example file browser and memory manager.

maddog69

Nov 22, 2010
As for a keyboard, for reference 7inch size tabs fits in a case which has a keyboard fitted. I have ordered 1 but not recieved it. Not how practical it will be for long periods, but the keyboard has a battery installed so should not drain the tablets battery.
7 Inch Keyboard Case for Android Tablet with Stylus Pen, Mini USB Port - US$14.90 : Euogo.com
Daniel who works at eugo has answered many questions i have askede, he is probably dreading when he sees my email pops up. lol

jmcculloch

Nov 26, 2010
Has anyone been able to root this device? I am not able to connect with adb as the SDK USB drivers don't seem to be compatible.

Are the USB drivers specific to the "Android for telechips tcc8900 evaluation board (US)" which I noted in the factory default restore wizard?

I have also tried Universal Androot 1.6.2-beta5.apk with no luck.

In WinXP Device Manager, I am seeing "USB Composite Device" under "USB controllers", but there is still a question mark showing under "Other devices > Android Eclair"

jmcculloch

Nov 26, 2010
I was browsing Astro to load a PDF, and the tablet shut down.

When I try to start it I see an error like this for a second or two then the tablet shuts down. It looks kind of like the cylindrical storage symbol, but appears to have some kind of button at the top. There is an exclamation point / bang in the triangle.

$boot_error.jpg

I'd appreciate any insight about recovering from this.

jmcculloch

Nov 26, 2010
Okay, I plugged in the power and the tablet booted up and started charging. The battery indicator app doesn't seem to be cooperating well with the power management hardware. I'm certain I left the USB connection plugged in overnight.

T3ch17

Jan 7, 2011
I received mine from DealExtreme.com a couple of days ago, but it has the ARMv6 rev6/499.71MHz processor. So far I love it, and I am looking forward to getting deeper into the unit. I was very impressed to say the least.

pablomacri

Jan 27, 2011
Okay, I plugged in the power and the tablet booted up and started charging. The battery indicator app doesn't seem to be cooperating well with the power management hardware. I'm certain I left the USB connection plugged in overnight.

Mine have the same problemn (dealextreme sku 47008). The tablet is complete usable, the only problemn is the battery meter.
When it´s charging stays at 4% and never fill up, qhe you disconect the power suply (ac or usb), it stays for hours at 100%, then suddenly turns off (when it runs out of battery) with no warning.
I found update7.zip from cherrypad, seems to be the same specs, but didn´t aplied fearing it would brick the pad.
does anyone has the same problemn? anyone solved this?? any help would ve aprecciated.

Pablo

fhargo

Feb 6, 2011
I have one. Suddenly it is blocked and i can´t find the way to reset it. I tryed to cannect to my pc and there are not usb drivers for that. Then i only could enjoy it for 5 hours........ Then: Only problems.

this tablet has following specifications:

Android 2.1 os
telechip 8902 720mhz cpu
3 axis accelerometer, g-sensor games such as raging thunder supported
high performance hd, 3d, support 1080p hd video
official android market
256m ddr2 memory

smartpad-android-tablet-1.jpg

smartpad-android-tablet-2.jpg

smartpad-android-tablet-6.jpg

smartpad-android-tablet-9.jpg

this tablet has similar hardware as hipad g10, it can play accelerometer games, such as raging thunder.

Last edited by a moderator:

jules

Apr 21, 2011
HI
My husband just brought me an android smartpad back from Hong Kong. I dont seem to be able to get on to the wifi at home. It finds it but says it is weak and therefore keeps scanning again then saying not in range and starting the search again. Its never ending. I just want to get on and play and dont know what to do. If you dont know the answer but could point me to someone who can I would be soooo grateful