New to android tablet...is Google Play necessary?

fabtablet

Jun 5, 2012
Hello,

I'm brand new to tablets. I have a refurb Asus Transformer TF101.

On my PC I have the programs I want to use and am not an avid google person.

I would like to play the music I have on my microSD card on my tablet without having to use Google Play. I don't want anything to do with Google play. Am I being naive? you are welcome to trash my thoughts. However, I would like to use a different program to play music; I don't want to register with anyone, I don't want anything to do with a program that makes me set up a user/pass just to play music I want to hear (& likely not find on 'Google Play.')

I seem to be able to browse the web ok. I do have a Google mail acc't which I use only for 'fun mail.' But the tablet seems to be forcing me to use only Google Services. I recently found a setting to uncheck 'use only Google apps' but every :mad:time I try to search for 'apps' I am directed to google Play. For one example, I went to Science.gov to get an android app for their search. Google Play, however, wants me to 'sign in' to install this android App. is that what I have to do for every app I want to use? If this is a 'free app' why does Google force me to sign in? :mad:

If that is the case I'll dump the tablet. I hate being a slave to Google. I don't mean to talk trash; I really do not want to be beholden to a company that will track every movement i do on a device that is not critical to my life. Thanks for reading this & I look forward to some definitive answers; most importantly thanks for any help from everyone who's much better at these things than I will ever be!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No it's not necessary, I like Google play but it's not needed, there are other markets.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
hi, there are many appstores out there to use. amazon appstore is one, applanet, appbrain. are a couple more but there are others you can use. check forums for other answers 7 you will probably have quite a few to choose from.

robinpe

May 29, 2012
Hi fabtablet, Are you under the impression that 'Google Play' is just for music. 'Google Play' contains 100's of apps, books & movies. It's the main feature of an Android tablet. From there you can find apps for downloading the music you want. robinpe