New Unit Won't Turn On...Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Anchoret

Jan 3, 2013
Got a new generic tablet from an eBay seller today.

It has no unit-specific instructions, just an Android instructions booklet. This is my first tablet, so I don't know much about them.

I plugged in the charger. It showed what looked like a flashing full charge for a few minutes, then went to a little Android logo onscreen.

I pressed the on/off button, nothing. I unplugged the charger and tried again. Nothing. I looked around online and saw that the button has to be held down for a bit, but that didn't do it either.

Am I making a stupid beginner mistake? Did I get a pre-bricked unit? No response from the seller yet.

Thanks for any advice on this.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It's possible you have a bad unit but let me suggest you plug it into a running PC for a few hours, then charge it for several hours then try again. Most tablets need a really decent first charge, some as long as 8 hours. If you still don't get any reaction with a long press of the power button I would get in touch with the seller.

Anchoret

Jan 3, 2013
Yeah, it needs a charge. The battery icon appeared to be fully charged, but wasn't. Not having any instructions, it looked to me like it was ready. It wasn't. It did finally boot, but directed me to plug in the charger. I'm charging it now, apparently, though the screen shows nothing. These won't run on AC? :confused:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, it needs a charge. The battery icon appeared to be fully charged, but wasn't. Not having any instructions, it looked to me like it was ready. It wasn't. It did finally boot, but directed me to plug in the charger. I'm charging it now, apparently, though the screen shows nothing. These won't run on AC? :confused:

It really does need that long charge first. The battery sensor appears not to be calibrated. Running it down to 20-30 % and doing full charges a few time may correct it.