New User - Can't Find Apps..

Deannea

Oct 20, 2012
Hi,

I'm trying to set this Ematic eGlide XL Pro II EXLW2B for my Mom -

I can't find the "white shopping bag" and when I go to Google Play Store it asks for first time users to give a credit card(???) - I have NEVER been asked that before on any smart phone or laptop before.

All we want to do for her is get her:

1.) Get TASK MANAGER on her home menu page so she can get to it fast and doesn't leave apps running.

2.) Get her email on her home screen so she can access it and open it quickly. Which icon do you use for GMail?

3.) Get her Face Book connected on the tablet and the icon on her home screen - but it isn't in the apps and when you go to Google Play Store - it asks for a credit card. I thought these apps came pre-loaded???

Do you have to register this product first - before any apps? Do the apps load after you register????.

I would love it someone knew and could help - I've never bought a tablet before but I have an Android phone. I understand the phone, but this is really lacking what it says it has unless I am doing something wrong or out of order...

Thanks!

Deannea

Oct 20, 2012
For those of you that don't know the answer to my question - I think I found it on my own and hopefully it will help you too! This is from a buyer who wrote this review for his purchase. Check it out...

[FONT=&quot]Now for some other things you should know...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-No bluetooth capability... not a big bummer, but it would be nice to have it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-The description doesn't say anything about GPS, but I've tested it and it does work with Google Maps within Wi-Fi range. Unfortunately, Navigation Mode only works with Mobile Network Based GPS. If you care to shell out the extra bucks for a 2G/3G data package to see it work, then go for it. You'll probably have lots of fun.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-The master AC charge adapter is a positive-tip pin type. These are easy to break, so be careful.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-The USB data/charge cable will only charge the device when it is powered off. While powered on it serves only as a data-link to your PC. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
-Google Play Market does not exist on this tablet. It uses the Ematic App Shop which is similar, but you don't have access to all the great free apps like on the Standard Google Android Market, that's the bad news. The good news is it's easy to install the Standard Android Market so you CAN have access to all the apps you love. Just do a Google search for "how to install vendor.apk on ematic tablet". The instructions for Pro III are the same for Pro II, btw. It's a 4-step process with reboots in between each step. NO ROOTING INVOLVED, just download the APK files, transfer them to tablet, and use the tablet's file manager to access them for each step... piece of cake... or should I say "slice of ice cream sandwich"... lol - If you do this, then I also recommend disabling the old eMatic App Shop before doing so in order to avoid any possible update conflicts. You can find that option in the tablet's app manager... no problem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-The built in eMail app is sufficient and does a great job at handling all your eMail addresses automatically without needing to be a geek. However, if you want the ability to save a picture attachment, then look elsewhere for another eMail app, or use the online gMail version in the browser to download attachments.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-Speaking of browsers... the built-in version is terribly slow and crashes sometimes. I would recommend installing Chrome Beta for this tablet. It's super fast with less glitches. Remember to disable the old one, if you do this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-Memory management is basic on this tablet. It comes pre-loaded with the Advanced Task Manager which is good, but it was already out of date. Make sure you update it and configure it properly before putting it to good use. Also, the tablet doesn't come with a cache clearing app. I find that "1-Click Cleaner" does a pretty good job at clearing the trash files, "1-Tap Cleaner" is another good alternative.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-Anti-Virus Protection does not exist on this tablet. You must choose your own. I've tried Comodo Mobile Security on it, and so far it seems to be doing a fantastic job. The Anti-Theft feature in Comodo is not available yet for Tablets, but according to their forum it's a planned event. You can install an anti-virus though![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
-The built-in File manager is not that great. If you want to move files from the internal SD card to the external SD card, then check out "Astro File Manager" instead. Remember to disable the old File Manager after installing it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-Contact List? People List?... nope, sorry, does not exist. However "Go Contacts EX" from the android market is A-W-E-S-O-M-E-! It auto-syncs with your online gMail contacts. You can also import/export ".vcf" vCard databases with it.
-Round Soft Capacitive Styluses will work on this tablet, but it responds much better to your finger.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-Picture storage and display is great.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
-Music player rocks when it's the only app using system resources. What I mean by that is to expect some minor skipping when multitasking with higher priority apps that uses the internet. Running local apps with it is not a problem, like reading offline eMail, eBooks, taking notes, editing pictures... it's just the higher demanding apps accessing the internet that causes a little skipping.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think I've covered what's most important to somebody like me. After customizing it to suit my needs, I find the eMatic eGlide XL Pro II Tablet to be a good choice for an inexpensive ICS device. As far as device funtionality goes I don't see any big problems and it does what I tell it to do.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think the only big beef I've had with it is the sorry lame apps that came built-in with it. So, If you get one and discover your dislikes are the same, then plan a day to customize your apps. I think the extra effort is worth it considering the low price.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would I buy another one for somebody else?... Yep, sure would. It's a good introduction to android tablets for somebody who hasn't used one yet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hope my honesty helps. Remember what really matters... HAVE FUN![/FONT]