Newbie could use some help....advice.

JLOB

Jan 22, 2011
I’m new to the forum, and relatively new to Android devices. Having recently purchased, and become enamored with the new Droid X from Motorola, I decided to take the plunge and buy an experimental tablet.

Thanks to, what I thought was, a deal on Woot.com, I ended up with the following…

Augen Gentouch 78 - Model # NBA7800ATP (not # NBA7800ATP-B)
Android for Telechips TC8900 Evaluation Board - Firmware Version 2.1 Update 1
Kernel Version 2.6.29 - king@localhost #76 - Eclair

The main difference is the processor speed (600Mhz instead of 800Mhz on the B) and the size of the headphone jacks (2.5mm instead of the 3.5mm advertised)

Having now read a lot of the commentary, I know this is not the greatest device in the world. I guess for the money I wouldn't expect it to be. What I'm looking for from you experts, is some advice on what to do now. Is there an advantage to rooting this unit? Is there some way I can get YouTube, Gmail, and Google maps, to work on his device? Is there an app that can be added that will permit reorientation of the screen? Are there any other patches and/or fixes that will make me happier with this device? Ideally I'd like to be able access the Android Market. Is that wishful thinking?

I don’t really have any planned USE for this device. It’s just an experiment. Email, Web access, picture viewing, tunes….maybe streaming video. That would be about it.

Any and all help, or pointers in the appropriate direction, will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks very much

John O'Boyle

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
you have one of the original versions, which came out in July. There is actually a pretty good site that popped up on this that will provide you with everything you need to root, flash and customize your tablet at http://augendev.wikispaces.com/

I would recommend getting clockwork installed and then updating to Lincracker's ROM. I know that probably sounds like gibberish right now, but check out the link and it will make sense.

cheers,
P

JLOB

Jan 22, 2011
Peter,

Thanks for your help. The link is probably just what i need, but I'm having a problem attempting to perform the update and can find no place at that site to post queries.

At step 4 - see below - I see no icon on my Gentouch that resembles that pictured in the instructions. Further, trying to execute the update batch file produces a "waiting for device" message, and I'm then dead in the water.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

JLOB