Newbie wondering about a tablet backup camera

gpshemi

Nov 4, 2010
Howdy. Newbie here. Been reading about Android Torque program on another forum and got thinking about buying a tablet.

I'd get one with GPS. That way I could loose my Garmin.
My radio has inputs. So I'd gain an MP3 player as well.
I could run Torque on it.

However...what I'd really like and would sell me on one for sure is the ability to use it as a monitor of some sort for a backup camera for my 41' Toy Hauler. Can't find any with Video inputs, so I'm guessing it would have to be a wireless deal or something. Anyone have any ideas?

hypergolic

Oct 29, 2010
Well a lot of tablets come with built in cameras, so there is probably not a high demand for external video. Maybe a usb cam of some sort?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
really you expect an answer in two hours hopefully you have been searching for those past two hours for yourself. But if your looking for a simple solution no that wont work but your question got me thinking of some ideas one you could possibly open up your tablet and solder some wires to extend the camera that is already in your tablet to the back of your toy hauler but that would be a lot of work and means at least 60 feet of cable for you. second idea like hypergolic said is a usb camera but most tablets dont except usb devices and if they do they need a lot of tweeking and then again thats at least 60 feet of usb cable running to the back of your toy hauler and usb cables are usually only good for 16 feet unless you use some hubs in between. Now to your idea of a wireless. there is one way i can think of to make this work because there are apps out there for android that let you view web cams ( see Download WebCam (Android) 1.0 for Android Free - WebCam application for your phone. - Softpedia ) but to do that you will need the web cam hooked up to a computer with a internet connection, so if you have internet in your toy hauler your set if not then you could use an android phone to wireless tether to a computer in your toy hauler. Hope those ideas give you some ideas of your own to try and test out

gpshemi

Nov 4, 2010
really you expect an answer in two hours hopefully you have been searching for those past two hours for yourself.

Well actually...been at it all day pretty much. LOL.
This site search didn't get me much. Found some x10 IP cams. That won't work.
Thought about a USB cam, but wasn't sure about the USB ports on these. Not real familiar with Android tablets, but it seems most don't accept USB devices.

As far as internet service, it would really need to be a moving solution right? So internet isn't really an option.

Extending the camera is an interesting idea. Hmmm....no infra red though.

gpshemi

Nov 4, 2010
Hey...what about a bluetooth camera? That possible? Seems Bluetooth can have a 100foot range in some cases. Not sure about the software though.

gpshemi

Nov 4, 2010
Anyone know if a USB camera will work on an Android tablet?

Also, can anyone make a recommendation for a GPS tablet then? Sure is alot of them out there. Makes your head spin.