NextBook Won't Charge

nickatier

Oct 19, 2015
My nextbook has been charging for over 24 hours now and it shows the red button and when I try to turn it on it only goes the the first screen then shuts off. Last night I checked it and it went from 40% to 32% to 29% as it was charging and the screen kept lighting up with the battery telling it was charging which it never did before. I can't even get on the main screen to see what percent it is on. Why is the nextbook not fully charging?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

It sounds like a short, or bad cable or bad charger. Try plugging it into a running PC for about 5 hours to see if the charge changes for the better.

nickatier

Oct 19, 2015
Welcome to the forum

It sounds like a short, or bad cable or bad charger. Try plugging it into a running PC for about 5 hours to see if the charge changes for the better.
I am currently trying that. How long should it take to charge if it is dead?

Jon82

Jan 18, 2017
I had my Nextbook Ares 10 plugged into the wall charger and it fully charged. I left it plugged in as I was doing a little streaming and some online stuff. A bit later I noticed the battery indicator was at 21% and the red charge light was not on - uh-oh! ... yup.. dead wall adapter. I've only had this tablet about a month and the adapter dies.. ugh :confused:

I plugged it into my PC and that charged it up just fine, except it took 4 hours instead of the usual 1.5 hours.

My wall adapter is 5v 2.0a. - - 99% of new adapters are 1.0,1.3, 1.5a, or some larger value such as 2.4a

Do the amperage ratings reflect charging speeds? My OEM 2.0a adapter seems to have been a fast charger at a 1.5 hour recharge from a 15% level. Would a 2.4a replacement be too much?

Jon82

Jan 18, 2017
I've borrowed a friend's wall adapter, it's 2.4a and gets much warmer than the OEM 2.0a adapter. I haven't done a full recharge from 10-15% yet so I don't know what the time difference will be.

Jon82

Jan 18, 2017
I've been using this 5v 2.4a charger for 10 days now and it seems to be working fine - no problems. Haven't noticed much difference in charging times from the 15% level to a full charge as compared to my original 2.0a unit.

My friend said I can keep the charger - no charge :cool:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Glad to hear you've found a charger that works. (At a good price too.;))