Nexus 7 - accessing network shares (Samba)

qprfact

Dec 25, 2012
Hi there, recently got a Nexus 7, and am running 4.2.1

My Galaxy Samsung Nexus phone connects to folders on my Ubuntu server using ES File Explorer.

I've replicated these settings on the tablet, but it consistently tells me that it cannot find the server.

The server is still accessible by both my phone and Mac, so it wouldn't appear to be anything incorrect on the server itself.

I've seen some suggestions that you need to root the Nexus 7 to get samba access, and others saying this is nonsense. I've also tried a couple of other apps (AndSMB, Astro) and no joy with those either, so it doesn't appear to be restricted to ES.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Thanks!

stickplayer

May 31, 2013
Hi there, recently got a Nexus 7, and am running 4.2.1

My Galaxy Samsung Nexus phone connects to folders on my Ubuntu server using ES File Explorer.

I've replicated these settings on the tablet, but it consistently tells me that it cannot find the server.

The server is still accessible by both my phone and Mac, so it wouldn't appear to be anything incorrect on the server itself.

I've seen some suggestions that you need to root the Nexus 7 to get samba access, and others saying this is nonsense. I've also tried a couple of other apps (AndSMB, Astro) and no joy with those either, so it doesn't appear to be restricted to ES.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Thanks!

I have a Nexus 7 with latest updates, and have found that with both ES File Explorer and Astro, I simply can't get to my shares.

In ES's case, their instructions say to use "New->Server" to create the connection. There is no such menu or other UI item as "New". No way to do this at all - at least not on the Nexus. Perhaps they simply don't understand higher resolution displays, and screwed up on displaying it, but there simply is no way. I tried clicking on anything and everything, and you can't get there from here.

Astro has its own problems with this. When I try to browse the network, it shows the workgroup, but no servers under it. I presumed I needed security rights. Again, looking at their help, the indicate one should use commands in the UI which aren't there. That's right, like ES, they ask you to do things that are impossible with the UI they are showing. Specifically, then mention items under the "Network" menu. Well, there IS a network menu. It does not have the item they indicate you need to use. The only item there is "Change Login". And clicking it does NOTHING - and I mean nothing.

So both are complete fails on Nexus 7, or perhaps Android 4.2.x.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I uninstalled Astro because it did such a poor job on network shares. But the information you had on ES Fule Explorer is incorrect and it works great. When you open ES there should be a "LAN" selection at the top. Tap that then the search icon (4th from the left) then select the IP of the system and go go go.;)

dddougal

Jun 3, 2013
I have a nexus 7 and access my shares with es explorer no problem, just open the LAN setting and your shares should just pop up