Nexus 7 Android 5.0 Update

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Greetings Earthlings,

I just installed the update for Android 5 (Lollipop) on my Nexus 7. There was a message before the update started that there will be a new 'look,' system improvements, and other stuff, but I was satisfied with the current state of the device, with its odd touchscreen function. I don't use the multitouch stuff, so it usually doesn't bother me.

The biggest thing I noticed during the update is that the animation on the boot screen took a LOT longer than a regular boot (obviously, because it was still updating) and the "optimizing the apps" procedure took a lot longer too. There must be a lot of upgrades!

There is no longer two pull-downs, one om each end. There is only one with both settings AND notifications in the middle, and it's been 'optimized.' YOu need to pul on it twice to open it. The app drawer looks about the same. The Back, Home, and AppList buttons look different.

There is a new sounds setting called "Docking sounds?" (sound&notification > Other sounds) I wish I had a way to "dock" the tablet to begin with!

Try hanging the wallpaper....

I will explore more to see what else there is.

Any comments? Denials? Pizza? LOL

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Congratulations! I just checked a few minutes ago, and still nothing.:(

Music

Feb 5, 2011
It's a kind of bittersweet situation. the OS is different, especially with the single pull-down for everything (notifications and settings) and many apps are crashing! It seems that the Devs didn't know? One Dev told me the new emulator won't be available for another week or two :(

GMail doesn't seem to be getting the message pushes.

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
There's a new update out.

According to the notifications on my tab, It's version 5.0.1 and according to what I'm reading on the Internet, it adds two applications, Navigation and Local, which seem redundant, as both are incorporated into the Maps app. I suppose people (i.e., "consumers") need the two separate apps, because they can't handle the combination inside Maps?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Finally! Updated to Android 5.0.1 Build LRX22C. Hope this version really is OK.:rolleyes:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
The only annoying thing I have found is the new notification- settings shade. You have to drag it down twice to get to the settings.

neodragon

Dec 14, 2014
If you just swipe down with two fingers you get straight to the settings.

What I don't like is that my battery life seems a bit worse compared to kitkat, and the battery stats on power usage don't make sense anymore. The percentages don't add up to 100, or to the total amount used.