Nexus 7?

Chip.mx

Mar 19, 2014
Hi,
We are looking for an Android tablet.
Around $250.00 USD
We want to run the VUZE Torrent downloader app to get movies.
We need to store them then transfer them to our PC.
We will need the usual email and Facebook stuff.
We want to be able to go to Google Play and download the VUZE app without ruining or warranty like it would on our Kindle Fire HD.
I could be willing to root the device but would like an OS that does not need that.
We would like Bluetooth, new WiFi, GPS and the ability to use an external key board and mouse.
We have been looking at the Nexus 7 but are a bit concerned about the support for a micro sd slot.
We have read of roundabout measures for the storage issue.
We are in Puerto Vallarta, México, live on a boat so it will travel to shore a lot in a dry bag..
Thank you,
Chip

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The Nexus 7 tablet is definitely a great choice. And, there's lots of support for it here at the Forum.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011

Chip.mx

Mar 19, 2014
Hi,
Will we be able to get apps from other places like Amazon or just general web sites? Will this stop the warranty. I guess I am saying is the Nexus 7 proprietor? It seems the Samsung tablets are not preparatory and I could still get apps from Google Play with a Samsung tablet?
Thanks,
Chip

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Will we be able to get apps from other places like Amazon or just general web sites?

Hi Chip, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. One of the first things I did when I got my N7 was to download the Amazon Appstore and I had no problems whatsoever.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi,
It seems the Samsung tablets are not preparatory and I could still get apps from Google Play with a Samsung tablet?

Hi Chip,

welcome to the forums.

Actually the Samsung tablets are more proprietary. The Nexus 7 runs "pure" Android, which is what "Nexus" actually stands for. The Samsung tablets are more "mainstream, but only because of the massive amount of advertising Samsung does. The Samsung tablets run Android just like the Nexus 7 does, however Samsung adds their own extra stuff on it to make it their own. While in most cases, this makes the device a bit more user-friendly, it can also result in some performance difference and even differences in compatibility with apps and such.

For the needs you mentioned in your first post, the Nexus 7 as well as similar-sized Samsung tablets will work equally well. Things that might make you lean more towards one or the other are these:

the Nexus 7 doesn't have a memorycard-slot, the majority of the Samsung tablets do.

the Nexus 7 runs pure Android, and as of such, it gets Android updates a LOT faster than Samsung devices.

Do they matter? For movies, a memorycard slot might be quite useful, the Android updates. Its cool to run the latest version of Android, but developers of apps don't lock themselves to the latest version, so even if you are running a few versions behind, you can still use your apps.

Chip.mx

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks,
We got to go and touch and feel the tablets.
We are now seriously looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8”. It has got the feature we want.
The new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8” are coming which run KitKat. We are trying to decide if we could get a good deal on the soon to be older Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8” would it be worth not getting the latest and greatest. This tablet will need to last us a while so possibly the newer one world be the way to go.
Then again if Samsung puts out an upgrade to KitKat for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8” tabs then we could like that.
Will that happen?
Thanks,
Chip

edap

Dec 12, 2012
A surprising new leak has pointed towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" Android KitKat 4.4 Update. They are currently testing the update at their end. Tab 3 is not the best of the tablets but with the next generation operating system would improve in terms of performance.

Chip.mx

Mar 19, 2014
A surprising new leak has pointed towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" Android KitKat 4.4 Update. They are currently testing the update at their end. Tab 3 is not the best of the tablets but with the next generation operating system would improve in terms of performance.

Why do you say it is not the best of tablets, we are still looking so any help would be appreciated?
For us it is light in weight.
Has Bluetooth
Has GPS
Has storage expansion
Has the 8” screen
Has USB
Guess that is it for our need or all I can think of.
Thanks,
Chip

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
It's not better than the Nexus. But, if you're torn between the Tab 3 and Tab 4, than get the Tab 3, which has a faster processor and will definitely improve performance, once it gets KitKat.

Chip.mx

Mar 19, 2014
Hi,
Well we have been looking at the LG G Pad 8.3 which seems a bit old but is selling at $229.00 now.

The screen is a bit larger than the Samsung tab 3 8 but the tablet is the same weight and resolution is better on the LG G Pad 8.3.

Both can run two apps at a time (if I am not mistaken) and that we want to do. For instance download a movie and browse the web at the same time or watch a video and download one at the same time etc. We now realized we wanted that feature.

Both have the GPS.
Both have Bluetooth.
Both have expansion.
I did not see a USB on the LG G Pad 8.3 but with the expansion card I am not sure of the USB use?

How do these two compare (LG G Pad 8.3 verses Samsung tab 3 8)?
Will the LG G Pad 8.3 be upgradable to KitKat by LP?
The LG G Pad 8.3 battery does not come out. Does that make difference, do they need replacing?
Thanks,
Chip

Chip.mx

Mar 19, 2014
We will most likely not purchase the Nexis 7 because of the screen size.
It seems you are only interested in the Nexis 7?
Thank you,
Chip

edap

Dec 12, 2012
In my case, I am an advocate of the 8-inch Nexus. But, that device won't be released till mid-summer. The 7-inch Nexus seems to be history. And, it looks like the Nexus 10 has been put on the back-burner, for now.