No way to access Zeam, Android Settings, Nook Color Tools, Softkeys etc

rachelrooter

Jun 26, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm sorry for the double post. I posted the below in the "Introductions" section and subsequently read that "questions would not be answered in there. So here goes again:

First of all, love your site! It has tons of useful information that's helped me root my nook color (quite a feat for a non-techie like me :) ).

But, I've hit a snag that I can't seem to solve myself. My NC still seems to be rooted since I still get updates from Pulse, Gmail, Gchat, etc., but I cannot access the Android settings menu, Nook Color Tools, or Softkeys, or any of the apps I've downloaded. It's pretty much near-stock, except for the constant updates from the Android apps I mentioned. I even re-rooted it, but the problem persists.

Previously, I could hit the physical "N" button and I'd have a choice of the "Nook Home", Softkeys, or Zeam Launcher. Now it just takes me to "Nook Home." It also used to have a Softkeys arrow button on the middle right side. Basically, I found lots of instructions here and other websites that would allow me to re-install the launcher thru various methods, but they all require I change settings inside the Android Settings Menu, which I can't find.

Any direction on how to fix this or just access the Nook Color Tools or Android Settings, or anything else that can bring my rooted NC back would be appreciated!

Oh P.S. I used the latest ManualNooter (4.6.7 I believe?)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It sounds like you set your default home launch to the B&N home launcher (you must have accidenlty checked the box that says always take this action). To get back to Zeam you need to touch the little up arrow above the n and then go to apps. In the apps dawer you should be able to get to NookColor Tools, SoftKeys or Zeam. Any of these three will allow you to either launch Zeam or get to the settings to change your default home launcher.

To help with the issue in the future you can use the apps Home Manager or Home Switcher to easily set the default home launcher. That way you can easily choose which lanucher activates when pressing the n button. I would suggest Zeam as your default home.

JP

rachelrooter

Jun 26, 2011
Yeah it did seem like that was what the problem was, but I def don't remember doing that (my bf and I both rooted our nook colors and we used the same settings and his works great). Also when I hit the arrow and then apps, only the stock B&N apps show up. I couldn't find an answer and have no done a complete wipe hoping to fix the issue. Thanks for your response though. FYI, the only thing I did differently than my bf was that I downloaded a magazine from the B&N Store...

edit: The clean wipe worked! I made sure to set the home button to open Zeam but I also thought that I'd add that both on the newly wiped and rooted nook and on my bf's, when I hit the center arrow key and go to Apps, it only pulls up apps that are stock on the Nook.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah it did seem like that was what the problem was, but I def don't remember doing that (my bf and I both rooted our nook colors and we used the same settings and his works great). Also when I hit the arrow and then apps, only the stock B&N apps show up. I couldn't find an answer and have no done a complete wipe hoping to fix the issue. Thanks for your response though. FYI, the only thing I did differently than my bf was that I downloaded a magazine from the B&N Store...

edit: The clean wipe worked! I made sure to set the home button to open Zeam but I also thought that I'd add that both on the newly wiped and rooted nook and on my bf's, when I hit the center arrow key and go to Apps, it only pulls up apps that are stock on the Nook.

I'm glad you got it fixed. Once rooted, you need to reboot after installing apps from the Android Market for them to show up in the B&N Apps. In the Zeam app drawer they should show up as soon as they are installed. That is one of the reasons a home lanucher like zeam is a must on a rooted Nook. Nobody wants to have to reboot everytime they install an app just to have it show up. :)

JP