Noob with Coby MID-7048-4G Needs Help

BigDaddyG

Oct 1, 2012
I just got a Coby MID-7048-4G for my wife and realized quickly that it is severly crippled by the manufacturer - with the main problem being no Google Play Store, so I am stuck with the limited apps on GetJar.

I installed Google Play Store using APK recommended on a post on this web page, but I couldn't get it to work - it just kept autoclosing immediately after I launch it. I finally just deleted the app.

I also "upgraded" the Office Suite of apps that came pre-installed based on a system prompt, but the "upgrade" was to version that is not free and I cannot revert. I was going to reset to factory settings, but I am not sure if this will wipe the tablet completely with no apps at all, or just revert to the way it was when it came out of the box. Logic dictates it should be the latter, but the wording on the tablet implies the former.

Finally, I can't find a decent thread on how to root the device so I can control the apps myself. I am not even sure what generation the device is considered to be - I assume 2, but have no way to tell.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Samsungaholic

Oct 20, 2012
Got one too yesterday. This thing is as good as a paperweight. Not only you cant load anything of value, but you are totaly limited to the get GetJar, a play store cheep imitation.
I do not suggest anyone ever buy a Coby , it is just a waist of money.

This thing looks good on paper, but it looks like the company decided to limit the software. The dvi port could have been used, but there is NO netflix or cracle ... so you can only play stuff like you tube on your TV.
If I had a note on 10 for this device, it would probably be a 1/10

Tried all the plays tore hack ... none of them would work on this device.
No answer from the Coby tech support too...

Conclusion STAY AWAY from Coby... it's cr@#e