Nook Color First Impressions, Pictures and Review

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1. You can still run the native GUI in addition to an Andoird GUI (called launchers) if you use the autonooter medthod. You will only have an Android lanucher if you use a custom ROM running Android 2.2 or higher but can still use the Nook as a B&N book reader by downloading the B&N Android app.

2. You can run graphically intensive documents on the Nook but their response will depend on the reader used. There is a thread about PDF readers that adresses this issue.

You can use Samaba from Avi's thread to wirelessly access your Nook and move files.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Awesome review. Thinking of getting Nook Color.
Thank you :)

1) After rooting & installing a ROM on the NC, does it still run the native NC GUI or it's totally different ? Asking this because I'm sure NC UI will be useful when reading ebooks right ?
2) Has anybody tried running CBZ/CBR files on this ? Also graphically intensive PDFs ? Because in the Engadget review it says that the screen's response is low and presents with a lag.
3) In India I'm getting it for 16-17k whereas SG Tab is for 24-25k. So with a difference of 7k I'll get a much powerful GPU, camera (not of much use) and 3G in the SG Tab. That's what's confusing me ! :(
@Avi: Any idea bro how to get this in the 14-14.5k price bracket ? 17k (~380$) is a bit too steep for NC. Cheapest I'm getting is 15k with a 10 day waiting from [E].

TIA.

1. Nope, GUI will be same after rooting. And NC UI has nothing to do with reading :)
2. I think it should run, not sure. will let you know
3. IMO Tab is not worth the money. But it depends on your usage. And also I don't think features like Texting, Rear camera would be a much of use in Tablet. If you have good budget and if you're okay with 10" screen, get iPad. The quality of apps in iOS is awesome. And you get it by Aramex Ship and Shop. For iPad customs in 14% but for Nook Color it is 25%. I think you are getting it from KTD from [E]. 15K is a good quote IMO, so go for it.

Last edited:

alekhkhanna

Mar 17, 2011
Thank you :)
1. Nope, GUI will be same after rooting. And NC UI has nothing to do with reading :)
2. I think it should run, not sure. will let you know
3. IMO Tab is not worth the money. But it depends on your usage. And also I don't think features like Texting, Rear camera would be a much of use in Tablet. If you have good budget and if you're okay with 10" screen, get iPad. The quality of apps in iOS is awesome. And you get it by Aramex Ship and Shop. For iPad customs in 14% but for Nook Color it is 25%. I think you are getting it from KTD from [E]. 15K is a good quote IMO, so go for it.

Thanks bro.
By GUI what I mean is that say while reading you long press a word and it pops up various contextual options. Same after selecting a para etc. That's pretty useful.
Don't need the camera. The only big down is the lack of 3G.
Also since you mentioned iPad, I'm getting an offer for iPad 64gig Wifi+3g used but mint for 28k. What say ? More inclined for that because of the apps & game available for it. Plus reading CBRs/CBZs on a big screen. 3G on the move and plays 720p too.

TIA.

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Nope, that was about Reader app which I mentioned in my review. You can have it even after rooting.

28K seems nice as current price is around 40K. You should chose Nook Color
-If less budget
-7" screen
-Less weight

IMHO iPad would be a great multimedia device compared to Nook Color.

Yash

Sep 22, 2011
Hiii

I have bought a NC for 14.5k seems fair huh!! The problem is bloody thing is fingerprint magnet..

Looking for a cover and a screen guard.

Please gimme a some options (Dun have a Credit Card)

P.S I soooo wanna root my NC but dun have access to a Wifi..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Yash, there are a few options for screen protectors avaialble. I got the regular one (also anti-glare available) form B&N. Comes two in a pack and includes a nice micro fiber cloth for cleaning what finger prints your do get. Prints are much reduced from the regular glass screen though.

JP

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Yash, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new NC. Several people have used Rain-X to keep the fingerprints and smears down on their screens. You should be able to find it in any automotive store.