Nook Color First Impressions, Pictures and Review

messengerback

Mar 8, 2011
hey guys.

am getting a nook color instead of an white ipad2, and I also want to get a microsd and root it.

But I have a few questions cause I'm new to these whole nook color thing. (I only got the nook wifi and it's awesome!)

First up, I'm planning to get a 32gb microsd class 10. does it work with it? because I have heard that some people have problems with their microsd cards. ): which class is best with rooted nook color? I want to get 32gb. :)

What's the difference between froyo and honeycomb? Which is better?

how do I root it on my own? S:

please help. thanks.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
hey guys.

am getting a nook color instead of an white ipad2, and I also want to get a microsd and root it.

But I have a few questions cause I'm new to these whole nook color thing. (I only got the nook wifi and it's awesome!)

First up, I'm planning to get a 32gb microsd class 10. does it work with it? because I have heard that some people have problems with their microsd cards. ): which class is best with rooted nook color? I want to get 32gb. :)

What's the difference between froyo and honeycomb? Which is better?

how do I root it on my own? S:

please help. thanks.

I have read that some are having issues with the Class 10 32GB card, but I know the NC can support up to a 32GB card. I know that a class 6 card works awesome. Make sure to buy namebrand and the likelihood of problems goes way down. I would also get a smaller mSD for any rooting, tweaking you might do (I use a 1GB card strictly for this, but its what I had laying around.)

Froyo is android 2.2, Gingerbread is 2.3 and Honeycomb is 3.0 The NC is running Eclair (2.1) by default, so with a basic rooting, you are running 2.1. The most stable custom ROM's right now are the Froyo ROM's but there are advances happening in 2.3 pretty much daily. I would steer clear of Honeycomb for now...it is just not stable enough (it wasn't even built on the full release SDK from Google...it is built on a preview emulator, a real Frankenstein...but sure was fun to play with for an hour installed on a SD card) for reliability, go with a froyo ROM for right now, but get to know your NC first...there is no need to jump to custom ROM on your first days. I feel I am becoming a broken record on that advice...and no one listens.

You will find all your rooting instructions here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9879-intro-so-you-bought-nookcolor-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

messengerback

Mar 8, 2011
I have read that some are having issues with the Class 10 32GB card, but I know the NC can support up to a 32GB card. I know that a class 6 card works awesome. Make sure to buy namebrand and the likelihood of problems goes way down. I would also get a smaller mSD for any rooting, tweaking you might do (I use a 1GB card strictly for this, but its what I had laying around.)

Froyo is android 2.2, Gingerbread is 2.3 and Honeycomb is 3.0 The NC is running Eclair (2.1) by default, so with a basic rooting, you are running 2.1. The most stable custom ROM's right now are the Froyo ROM's but there are advances happening in 2.3 pretty much daily. I would steer clear of Honeycomb for now...it is just not stable enough (it wasn't even built on the full release SDK from Google...it is built on a preview emulator, a real Frankenstein...but sure was fun to play with for an hour installed on a SD card) for reliability, go with a froyo ROM for right now, but get to know your NC first...there is no need to jump to custom ROM on your first days. I feel I am becoming a broken record on that advice...and no one listens.

You will find all your rooting instructions here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9879-intro-so-you-bought-nookcolor-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

oh thanks. I shall go with the froyo. :) but will test the nookcolor for a while until I figure out how to root. I'm getting it as a tablet as the main reason. I still want to stick back to the eink nook as a ereader.

does this mean I can switch microsds after rooting it? for example, switching the 2gb (that has the root files inside) after rooting, with a brand new unused 32gb class 4 sandisk, will the nook color stay rooted? if yes, it'll make things so much easier.

if not, can I copy the files from the microsd card and transfer it to the 32gb microsd? does the root files still work?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
oh thanks. I shall go with the froyo. :) but will test the nookcolor for a while until I figure out how to root. I'm getting it as a tablet as the main reason. I still want to stick back to the eink nook as a ereader.

does this mean I can switch microsds after rooting it? for example, switching the 2gb (that has the root files inside) after rooting, with a brand new unused 32gb class 4 sandisk, will the nook color stay rooted? if yes, it'll make things so much easier.

if not, can I copy the files from the microsd card and transfer it to the 32gb microsd? does the root files still work?

1. Yes after rooting, you can take out or put in any sd card you wish
note: just don't leave in the sd card with the rooting files in you NC. Take out and insert another sd card or reformat the sd card back to regular size for use in the NC.
2. Yes the NC will stay rooted, with or without a inserted sd card, the rooting modifies internal memory files no on the sd card.
note: b&n updates does break root, users either update to newest b&n software or install Clockworkmod recovery to prevent further updates.
3. Yes, you can always copy your files from one sd card to your pc and then copy them back to another sd card.

muslimmamma

Mar 10, 2011
Hi Avi, great review. Whats the name of the guitar app your playing? looks cool. Thanks.

NVM i found the guitar one, which piano and drums one do you have?

Last edited:

messengerback

Mar 8, 2011
1. Yes after rooting, you can take out or put in any sd card you wish
note: just don't leave in the sd card with the rooting files in you NC. Take out and insert another sd card or reformat the sd card back to regular size for use in the NC.
2. Yes the NC will stay rooted, with or without a inserted sd card, the rooting modifies internal memory files no on the sd card.
note: b&n updates does break root, users either update to newest b&n software or install Clockworkmod recovery to prevent further updates.
3. Yes, you can always copy your files from one sd card to your pc and then copy them back to another sd card.

OH great! that makes some things easier for me.

Thanks!

alekhkhanna

Mar 17, 2011
Awesome review. Thinking of getting Nook Color.
Some ques though !
1) After rooting & installing a ROM on the NC, does it still run the native NC GUI or it's totally different ? Asking this because I'm sure NC UI will be useful when reading ebooks right ?
2) Has anybody tried running CBZ/CBR files on this ? Also graphically intensive PDFs ? Because in the Engadget review it says that the screen's response is low and presents with a lag.
3) In India I'm getting it for 16-17k whereas SG Tab is for 24-25k. So with a difference of 7k I'll get a much powerful GPU, camera (not of much use) and 3G in the SG Tab. That's what's confusing me ! :(
@Avi: Any idea bro how to get this in the 14-14.5k price bracket ? 17k (~380$) is a bit too steep for NC. Cheapest I'm getting is 15k with a 10 day waiting from [E].

TIA.

alekhkhanna

Mar 17, 2011
Also reading the comments on Engadget review, I couldn't help but notice people ranting about how it fails to connect with older Wi-fi systems (b/g). Is this really an issue ?
Also what about the video codec support after rooting ? Can we play mkv, avi etc ? With custom ROMS (2.2 and above) the browser problems would be solved right ?
Sorry being a n00b but this will be my first Android device ! :p

TIA.

Edit: Also does it support mass storage mode or it needs a custom B&N software for all uploading ?

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Also reading the comments on Engadget review, I couldn't help but notice people ranting about how it fails to connect with older Wi-fi systems (b/g). Is this really an issue ?
Also what about the video codec support after rooting ? Can we play mkv, avi etc ? With custom ROMS (2.2 and above) the browser problems would be solved right ?
Sorry being a n00b but this will be my first Android device ! :p

TIA.

Edit: Also does it support mass storage mode or it needs a custom B&N software for all uploading ?
About avi files no problem and there are many players that support this type.
With files that need Hardware accelerating there is an issue (for example big lagging with 720p video with phiremod rom).
Mass storage is supported with some programms.

alekhkhanna

Mar 17, 2011
With files that need Hardware accelerating there is an issue (for example big lagging with 720p video with phiremod rom).
Thanks.
So 720p playback is a problem with the ROM or the NC ?
And by mass storage I meant whether I can transfer my PDFs, CBRs, MP3s, E-books etc simply by dragging & dropping ?

Also this:
Some ques though !
1) After rooting & installing a ROM on the NC, does it still run the native NC GUI or it's totally different ? Asking this because I'm sure NC UI will be useful when reading ebooks right ?
2) Has anybody tried running CBZ/CBR files on this ? Also graphically intensive PDFs ? Because in the Engadget review it says that the screen's response is low and presents with a lag.
3) In India I'm getting it for 16-17k whereas SG Tab is for 24-25k. So with a difference of 7k I'll get a much powerful GPU, camera (not of much use) and 3G in the SG Tab. That's what's confusing me ! :(
@Avi: Any idea bro how to get this in the 14-14.5k price bracket ? 17k (~380$) is a bit too steep for NC. Cheapest I'm getting is 15k with a 10 day waiting from [E].

TIA.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks.
So 720p playback is a problem with the ROM or the NC ?
And by mass storage I meant whether I can transfer my PDFs, CBRs, MP3s, E-books etc simply by dragging & dropping ?

Also this:
i guess both NC itshelf and the ROM dont have the capabilities for such normal playback.
About transfer, yes U can.I have some program (Nookcolor UMS) which when I activate it in NC, then my pc see the connected NC like an external disk.

alekhkhanna

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks bro.
Too bad it can't play 720p :(

Now if somebody can please shine some light on these:
Some ques though !

TIA.