Nook Color for True Noobs

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
Wow...you sure are an arrogant sob aren't you? You have a total of 8 posts and only 24 hours ago were a self proclaimed Android and NC newb, yet seem to take any criticism and advice as condemning you, like you are some god amongst men here...

There's the pot calling the kettle black. You start by complaining about reposting without the explanation that you included in the last post and saying that the information was wrong. THEN you accuse me of plagerism and not following the instructions that I posted - I can't imagine why anyone would take that personally. Only during that post did you explain your true objection to what was originally posted and why (although I suspect you didn't actually read it the first time which is why you called it wrong not confusing). Once you explained what you thought could be confusing, I changed it.

I might have been interested to hear how you don't agree with me, but honestly, I don't care that much to hear what you have to say, and if you think there was anything in that post that wasn't designed to be constructive and spot on correct, you are just another troll looking to disrupt a great community. I for one will not be responding to any more of your arrogant posts, and am very glad that I found the ignore user function of the forums. Good luck
Name calling, there's a grown-up response. Who's supposed to be arrogant again? Anyway, I'm not interested in getting into flame-wars so I'm also done. I invite anyone else that notices an error to please let me know (as some of you already have - thank you) so that I can fix them.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Nine posts in and already on two ignore lists. The force is strong with this one.

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
RaVenJ - My apologies to you. I got your posting confused with Darmeen's. Your point is taken. I really wasn't trying to be snotty - I saw a complaint about reposts, without the eloquent explanation you gave for why it might be a problem. I thought that I had explained why I was reposting and honestly figured that those that were not interested wouldn't read it. I was and am still simply trying to put together what I would have liked to had when I rooted my nook. All the instructions together in one place.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
My only advice might be to relabel your thread to "advice from a new nook color rooter" and maybe NOT try to reinvent a wheel that already has more than a dozen version and doesn't need a new one.

Or possibly, creating a thread about "my experience and the steps I took" for the rooting of YOUR nook.

You unfortunately set yourself up a bit here, you came out of the box trying to do more than you should maybe. I think if you narrow your focus a bit, your contributions might be better received and maybe even helpful to others.

Constructive criticism? Here ya go:

OK, so not only am I a NC newbie, I'm new to android as well.
Wonderful start, this gives readers an idea of who you are and where you're coming from, as well as maybe letting people know you could be mistaken about your information/methods. But we were all noob once and had to start somewhere, and if I was new to the world I would like to hear "your language" since it is likely similar to my own.
I've found that as I search these forums and other sources that sometimes people assume we know stuff that we may not, like what an adb driver is and how to install one. Some of you might not have used a command line or DOS commands before. Or maybe you're wondering how to install shortcuts on your desktop. You get the picture.
Ahh, exactly what I would like to see. And as a matter of fact, something that I think is sorely missing from ALL of the forums and wiki's - a decent dictionary and introduction to the various parts and pieces that make up the Android User/Developer/Rooter world.
So I'm hoping this thread will contain 3 things. 1) How-tos 2)How do I . . . questions and answers and 3)apps that you like/apps that work and apps that you don't like/don't work.
Whoa, ok... this is where we are putting too much into one basket. Threads are easy to make, and since the Titles allow for easy separation, at LEAST one thread per concept here is warranted. If for nothing else, so the discussions that ensue from each topic aren't mixed together - thus making it very hard for that noob to follow along. And the noob is the intended audience, correct?
I realize all of these things are spread around in different places but I'm hoping we can amass enough information in one place for me to put together a users guide.
So now I am confused, is this thread for the noob, or for you to collect pieces for your own guide? Forums are great places for information and mainly DISCUSSION. Guides are better documented through wiki's. At best again, a forum can be a collection of articles, but a whole guide in one thread that covers all you are talking about is a bit much. And the fact that you admit almost everything you are addressing is already addressed but spread out, wouldn't a better idea be to create a thread that simply catalogs and links to the different, already established and tested threads?
So my 1st post (after this one) will be a Noobs guide to rooting the NC, installing a launcher, and installing/running Honeycomb. :cool:
Already discussed how the third part (Honeycomb) doesn't really belong. And I think your intention to put some noob-tastic laymans terms to the rooting guide is honorable, you just didn't pull it off. Your edits are making it better though.

Best of luck.

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
My only advice might be to relabel your thread to "advice from a new nook color rooter" and maybe NOT try to reinvent a wheel that already has more than a dozen version and doesn't need a new one.

Or possibly, creating a thread about "my experience and the steps I took" for the rooting of YOUR nook.

You unfortunately set yourself up a bit here, you came out of the box trying to do more than you should maybe. I think if you narrow your focus a bit, your contributions might be better received and maybe even helpful to others.

Thanks for the input. I've been absent from the forums for awhile (busy with other stuff) but I will try to get some of your suggestions implemented in the near future.

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the input. I've been absent from the forums for awhile (busy with other stuff) but I will try to get some of your suggestions implemented in the near future.

And off he goes on another great adventure. Might as well close this thread...